Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing baby with cold

Question Nursing baby with cold

My 13 week lo has a cold. I have not taken her to the doctor yet. She is congested in her nose, does not sound like she is having any congestion in her chest as of yet.

She is still nursing well, but she sounds like she is snoring the whole time because of the congestion. I try and use the bulb syringe to clear out as much as I can before nursing and again in between breasts. Does anyone know if there saline drops are safe to use for an infant or of any home remedies that might help my lo breathe a little easier?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Default Re: Nursing baby with cold

We've had luck running the humidifier at night. I think the saline drops are safe, but not positive with such a young baby. You might want to ask the nurse at your doc's office about that before you use them. Other than that, just suction her nose before she nurses and make sure she's drinking enough milk and there's not a lot more you can really do for a cold.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    We've had luck running the humidifier at night. I think the saline drops are safe, but not positive with such a young baby. You might want to ask the nurse at your doc's office about that before you use them. Other than that, just suction her nose before she nurses and make sure she's drinking enough milk and there's not a lot more you can really do for a cold.
    I will definetly run the humidifier tonight. I'm not crazy about the idea of using the drops, so I will try this first.

I know she is getting enough milk, so that's reassuring. Despite her cold, she's still in a really good mood!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

I haven't tried this but I have read on here to squirt some BM in the nose and will help like saline drops. Then just suck out the nose.
    Wife to Levi 10/05/02
    Mommy to Kady 02/13/08

Birth: 7 lbs 11 oz 21 inches
    2 week: 8.5 lbs 21.5 inches
    2 month: 11.8 lbs 23 inches
    4 month: 15 lbs 25 inches
    6 month: 17.7lbs 26.5 inches
    9 month: 20.1lbs 27.5 inches
    12 month: 23 lbs 29.5 inches

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kadys-mom View Post
    I haven't tried this but I have read on here to squirt some BM in the nose and will help like saline drops. Then just suck out the nose.
    interesting...I bet she would love that...

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and