Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do solids usually give baby upset stomach?

Default Do solids usually give baby upset stomach?

My LO is 6.5 months old. I'm not big on pushing the solids, just want to let her go at her own pace. I was wondering if introducing solids makes your baby's stomach upset & if it's normal? Do they have to "get used to" the solids? Forgive me if this sounds dumb, but it seems like if I give her anything it does not agree with her. It seems like she likes to eat it, but then she ends up crying later like her stomach is bothering her. This happend with Rice, oatmeal, peas. I've tried a couple of other things, but she never got too much. Didn't seem to react this way with bananas though. I was going to wait another week or two before trying anything else. Or could it be something I'm eating - is it really true that what you eat can make baby upset? I think I've read things saying yes and no, just wondering what other's personal experiences with this are. Thanks!

Default Re: Do solids usually give baby upset stomach?

I've never heard anyone say that it's normal or expected for solids in general to cause baby to have an upset stomach. Rather I would assume that the food you gave doesn't agree with her if her stomach seems upset. Especially if she did not seem upset after the bananas. I would watch carefully (as I'm sure you are!) for any other type of reaction as well - did she have a rash, diarrhea, or any other change with a particular new food? I wouldn't be too worried, but maybe bring it up with her ped at the next visit.

Thank you, that's a perfect answer. She didn't have any other reaction, just the upset stomach/crying. I will just hold off for about a week or two and then start again - maybe she's not ready yet. Wanted to make sure that it wasn't expected she get an upset stomach.

The only thing that seemed to upset dd's stomach in the beginning were green beans, I stopped giving them to her for a few months, now she eats them fine.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

I'm glad you wrote this!!! My DS is 6.5 months and as a little "half birthday" celebration "cake" I gave him three teeny spoonfuls of rice cereal. He was up every hour that night with a tummy ache! Also, since talking to several other mommy friends (who also are avid breastfeeders) I have learned that it is not uncommon for babies to react this way when introducing solids.
    On an interesting side note, I too tried a little banana and that didn't seem to upset him at all, and the friends I also spoke of ALSO had no reaction to banana. I am wondering if there aren't some babies who have super sensitive guts and can't tolerate cereal right away but banana must be easier on them.
    In regards to whether it is what you are eating, I would say I have done lots of reading, talking to pediatricians (both my baby's and friends who are) and can tell you I concluded that only on very rare occasions will baby react to anything else you are eating aside from dairy. My LO was very reactive to dairy. I don't think it is the lactose (sugar/carbo) but rather the protein (so things like butter are safer than cottage cheese).
    Since the cereal incident, I decided to wait a little before pushing more solids. I'll maybe offer a couple spoons of banana here or there, but especially during flu season, I see no reason to push it if you are producing enough milk. The antibodies in milk decrease a little after 6 months, so why also decrease the amount of breastmilk at the time of year they need the antibodies most? Especially with the holidays and all the people around who won't wash their hands....

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mylittlehabibi View Post
    Especially with the holidays and all the people around who won't wash their hands....
    ARGH! I HATE the people who don't wash their hands!!! I was so mad one day when I took DD to visit my mom's friends. My mom offered her friend a cookie and she said no thank you that her hands were not clean....but then she goes and touches DD's hands!!!! I don't get it!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Red face Re: Do solids usually give baby upset stomach?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    ARGH! I HATE the people who don't wash their hands!!! I was so mad one day when I took DD to visit my mom's friends. My mom offered her friend a cookie and she said no thank you that her hands were not clean....but then she goes and touches DD's hands!!!! I don't get it!
    That's horrible! It's one thing to do it inadvertently, but quite another to do it knowingly! Unless maybe she wanted a polite way to refuse a cookie like she was on a diet or something. Still, keep a teeny bottle of hand sanitizer attached to your purse, and I think for the holidays, I'll be attaching one to the car seat and keeping a large pump bottle at the door for guests. I've actually found most people understand and don't think of you as an overprotective hand washing freak.