Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much whole milk??

Default How much whole milk??

Hello to all!! This is my first post. However I have been an avid reader since before my son was born. This time I couldn't find anyone with the same question so I have to ask it myself. I'm so excited, my son will turn 1 in less than two days!! Excited but sad, it went by so fast. He has breastfed since birth and my plan is to continue until he's ready to stop , hopefully at least age 2. Anyways, my question is how much cow's milk do you give your LO's?? My ped. said to give 30-40 oz. per day. I told him I planned to Bf, he said that was fine but to also give that much milk. Just wondered if this sounded reasonable to other moms. It sounds like alot, I mean with him still nursing and eating solids and then to add that much cow's milk. Thought maybe you all could let me know what you did? My son's weight and height are fine, not an issue. Plus, did everyone start on whole milk or 2%? I know the ped. said whole milke, but isn't the only difference the amount of fat?? Or is there others?? Any help would be appreciated.

Loving wife of 3 yrs. to A.W.

& SAHM

to beautiful baby boy, Jack (12/5/07)

Born- 8lbs 4oz 20 inches
    2 months- 12lbs 13 3/4 oz 24 inches
    4 months- 15lbs 2 oz 26 inches
    6 months- 17 1/2 lbs 27 1/2 inches
    9 months- 19lbs 5 oz 28 inches
    12 months- 21 1/2 lbs 30 inches

Nursing 15 months now... YAY!!

Default Re: How much whole milk??

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jacks-mommy View Post
    Hello to all!! This is my first post. However I have been an avid reader since before my son was born. This time I couldn't find anyone with the same question so I have to ask it myself. I'm so excited, my son will turn 1 in less than two days!! Excited but sad, it went by so fast. He has breastfed since birth and my plan is to continue until he's ready to stop , hopefully at least age 2. Anyways, my question is how much cow's milk do you give your LO's?? My ped. said to give 30-40 oz. per day. I told him I planned to Bf, he said that was fine but to also give that much milk. Just wondered if this sounded reasonable to other moms. It sounds like alot, I mean with him still nursing and eating solids and then to add that much cow's milk. Thought maybe you all could let me know what you did? My son's weight and height are fine, not an issue. Plus, did everyone start on whole milk or 2%? I know the ped. said whole milke, but isn't the only difference the amount of fat?? Or is there others?? Any help would be appreciated.
    That seems like a lot!!!! My LO nurses 3-4 times per day and drinks whole cow's milk once (about 2-3 oz I would guess)
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

WOW!!! That's a big difference from what my doctor said. But what your saying sounds a lot closer to what I've read. Thank you, I'll have to be sure to ask him again at our 1 yr. checkup, but if he still says that much milk, I'll go with my gut. Thanks again.

Loving wife of 3 yrs. to A.W.

& SAHM

to beautiful baby boy, Jack (12/5/07)

Born- 8lbs 4oz 20 inches
    2 months- 12lbs 13 3/4 oz 24 inches
    4 months- 15lbs 2 oz 26 inches
    6 months- 17 1/2 lbs 27 1/2 inches
    9 months- 19lbs 5 oz 28 inches
    12 months- 21 1/2 lbs 30 inches

Nursing 15 months now... YAY!!

my kids drink very little milk. I just don't get it much anymore.
    mostly for cooking!

as long as toddler is nursing well 3-4 times in 24 hours they do no need any suppliment of cows milk.
    Kelly moms has some good info on cows milk.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ler-foods.html

from that link:
    Many nursing moms are told that they must introduce cow's milk at a year. Your nursing toddler is already getting the best milk he can get - mother's milk! Breastmilk has a higher fat content than whole cow's milk (needed for baby's brain growth), and all the nutrients of human milk are significantly more bioavailable than those of cow's milk because it is species specific (not to mention all the components of mother's milk that are not present in cow's milk).

There is no need for additional milk or (or the equivalent nutrients from other foods) as long as your baby is nursing 3-4 times per day. Cow's milk is really just a convenient source of calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. - it's not required. There are many people in many parts of the world who do not drink milk and still manage to get all the calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. that they need.

dr sears has some great info on cows milk on his web site also:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032100.asp

We don't offer CM at all to my son, and we're still nursing 3-4 times a day. However, we're weaning and when he's done nursing I'm not planning on filling him up with CM. You don't have to do CM at all if you don't want to. My Df and I don't drink it so it's just never in the house. DS gets his calcium from other sources including yogurt and cheese.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Wow, 30-40 oz. seems like WAY too much cow's milk. My 14 month old is still nursing 3-ish times per day, and drinks very little cow's milk. They offer her cow's milk at daycare, and she will only drink a little of it, but she loves cheese and will eat a little yogurt too. I say as long as you are still nursing several times a day, I wouldn't worry too much about getting your LO to drink cow's milk.

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

DD will be 2 in january adn has been on cows milk for about a year now, shes not bfing, she drinks 10-20oz a day and also eats other foods rich in calcium, cheese yogurt ect. dr has given me a hard time about it but w/e, dr says she should have 26-30oz/day thats insane!!! 40 is even more insame. trust your gut.
    DH 09/18/04

SAHM to.....
    01/03/07
    01/08/08
    05/11/10

Some days i want to
    But most days I love my job!!

Jeremiah 29:11
    For I know the plans I have for you" declairs the Lord "Plans to Prosper you and not to harm you Plans for hope and a future

w/pp, that's way too much. My pedi also said if nursing 3-4x a day, no cow's milk needed. If giving any cow's milk, give whole milk. But, you don't want them to fill up on bm & cow's milk and not eat any solids. I don't even think they drink that much bm when they're a year old. I've just let my MIL who watches her on occasion know she can have cow's milk, if she wants milk and I'm not around- I don't pump anymore. But, really she'd rather just have solids and water and wait to get her milk from mommy.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

I was glad to read this. My twins still nurse 2-3 times during the day and then 3-4 times at night. My DS is allergic to cow's milk so we have to use alternatives. After many attempts I've determined he prefers rice milk so that is what they both get. They get maybe 4-6 ozs a day. Otherwise they get water and usually some juice at morning snack.

I also worry about calcium intake and vitamin D. Something to bring up with my dr at their 18 month c/u next month. I try to do calcium rich foods. Soy yogurt is easy to find but dairy free cheese isn't so easy where I live. When I can find it I find that it's super expensive.
    Becca - mom to
    Alexa 12.4.03
    Jacob 7.8.07
    Elizabeth 7.8.07

our Public Health gives out a book in Canada to parents of toddlers and it says to give 12-24 month olds 2 cups of milk/day if toddler is no longer breastfeeding (that's about 16 oz for you US people). SO if breastfeeding then you don't need as much. I can't believe 40 oz! that is crazy! toddler would be too full to try any other foods!