Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding and air travel

Default Breastfeeding and air travel

We need to take a quick trip to Fla from NC for family reasons and my little one will be 7 weeks the weekend we travel. I decided we should fly rather than drive for 12 hours to be easier on us and the baby. I know I should breastfeed for takeoff and landing for the baby's ears, but has anyone flown with breastmilk? I pump every morning and will be returning with 2 days worth and an ice pack.

Any other suggestions that may make this easier would be appreciated as I really don't want to do this so early, but unfortunately it is unavoidable for family reasons.

Thanks very much for your input!

Default Re: Breastfeeding and air travel

I don't know anything about traveling with pumped milk, but here are some tricks that always helped me on the plane:
    - Bring a large shawl. Not only is it useful for nursing privately, but your baby may nap quite contentedly underneath it, since it blocks a lot of light and noise.
    - Bring a sling for the plane and the airport. It's much better than a carseat, because you can get up and walk around and the movement will soothe your baby. It's also a lot less clumsy.
    - Your carry-on bag should include the following items: hand sanitizer, extra diapers, change of clothes for you and your LO (in case of disastrous spit-up or poop-explosion), wipes, paci in case your LO won't take the breast (optional, depends on whether or not pacis work for you), and plastic bags to contain soiled items.
    - Don't dispose of soiled diapers in the airplane trash. Those trash bins don't get cleaned out often enough, and if you leave a soiled diaper in there, you're leaving a horrid stench for the next people on the plane. Wrap soiled dipes in plastic and give them to the steward/stewardess.

Have a good time! I hope you have a successful trip.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aunt.r View Post
    We need to take a quick trip to Fla from NC for family reasons and my little one will be 7 weeks the weekend we travel. I decided we should fly rather than drive for 12 hours to be easier on us and the baby. I know I should breastfeed for takeoff and landing for the baby's ears, but has anyone flown with breastmilk? I pump every morning and will be returning with 2 days worth and an ice pack.

Any other suggestions that may make this easier would be appreciated as I really don't want to do this so early, but unfortunately it is unavoidable for family reasons.

Here is the official TSA info http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...n/formula.shtm

IME, it embarrasses the TSA guards when you declare it, but oh well! You are not allowed to bring an ice pack. What I do is one of the following:
    1) Ziplocs filled with ice in the cooler, and extra empty ones as well. Pitch the ziplocs right before going through security, and buy ice as soon as I'm on the other side. Actually, most of the time I've just been given the ice, because people are nice.
    OR what I did last time I flew, because it was going to be a really long trip and I wanted to keep my BM cold without having to replace the ice en route:
    2) I filled BM bags with cow's milk and froze them, and kept them in my cooler. I declared "milk" (not a lie ).

with pp, she has lots of good info re flying. One more thing I would add - if for some reason you and your DH are separated when your seats are assigned (happened to us once), either ask the steward[ess] for help or ask your new seatmate if they will switch. I found that as soon as my seatmate heard that I would be nursing and wanted to have help from my DH, he was more than happy to switch.

Actually, this age is much easier to fly with than once they're mobile, because they're usually pretty content as long as they're being held.

, and I hope that things go well with your family!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

oops - this double-posted
    Last edited by @llli*imma2nonstopaa; December 1st, 2008 at 02:12 PM.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

I have not had problems on planes. And I agree that it's easier before they can move around much. When we flew at 3mo my little guy hardly noticed the difference.
    I haven't had problems with transporting BM. Tell them exactly what everything is. Do not try to bring water. I liked the other poster's suggestion about freezing milk ice-packs.
    One last thing--don't forget to ask for a boarding pass for the little one. You don't have to pay, and some airlines don't care, but the TSA people get a bit testy if you don't have it. Good luck!

Thanks everyone -- this sounds a little easier than I thought it would be. Hopefully it will be so in reality!

I used an icepack when we traveled but it was a little over a year ago. I had the medela pump that had the cold bag thing and I just stuck all my milk in there with an ice pack and opened it, told them what it was and offered to remove it all if needed. On the way back I had 2 weeks worth of frozen milk in bags instead of 4 bottles worth, I put it all in the same bag with the same ice pack and did the same. They were really nice about it honestly, and pretty helpful to us. ONe of the ladies even held DS so we could get our shoes back on and everything packed up...then bandaged my finger that I cut open on something

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

I also used the ice packs, then when I got through security I filled the rest of the cooler up with ice from a restaurant. I never had any problems going through security with it.

Are you flying alone w/ your baby?

I usually fly Delta btw. I always book online and can never figure out how to make my ticket say 'infant in arms' when I book on the delta website. Anyways I learned it's best to call to make sure your ticket says 'infant in arms' because there are some seats you can't sit in w/ the baby. Also ask when you check in if you can get a seat w/o anyone next to you if there's extra room on the plane.

Also, the changing table is in most bathrooms and it's on the wall directly above the toilet. Ask the flight attendant to show you where it is. If your plane doesn't have one they will let you change the baby on the floor where they sit. Bring a portable changing mat with you.

Yep you're supposed to nurse taking off and landing. Mine was 12 weeks first flight and he refused to nurse landing. But he was fine, don't stress over it if you can't get your baby nursing at the exact time he needs to. DS was okay.

Enjoy the trip, flying with an infant is easy cake compared to a big loud annoying toddler that tries to show your boobs off to the whole plane.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Oh - and two more things. If you use a carrier with no metal (i.e. a mei tai, or a structured carrier w/plastic clips) it is really useful to wear your baby through security. Just make sure to remove the baby's coat first. That way if they fall asleep you can KEEP them asleep going through security.

Also, you can bring EMPTY water bottles through security, and then fill them up to use on the plane. I always do that, because I get SO thirsty nursing & it's hard to get water on the plane. (Of course, you can buy water bottles on the other side of security, but they are a real ripoff.)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*imma2nonstopaa View Post
    Oh - and two more things. If you use a carrier with no metal (i.e. a mei tai, or a structured carrier w/plastic clips) it is really useful to wear your baby through security.
    They made me take him out when I went through! Woke him up and everything.
    Although in San Diego now evidently they have a special "with children" line, so maybe they are more lenient...
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?