Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing time s gone from 40mins to 10 overnight??

Red face nursing time s gone from 40mins to 10 overnight??

my lo was 11wks old on Saturday and normally takes 40mins to nurse (about 20mins each time but I don't time it). Anyway on Sunday it took the usual 40mins each time (or 20mins if only took one side) but on Monday it now takes 10mins each side??? and suddenly only wants to take one side at every feed. Is this normal? Also he has developed a preference for the right breast and when I try to feed the left breast he cries and won't latch. I ended up using the rugby hold today so that he feeds off the left as it was so engorged. Any suggestions why? Has he hurt his neck or something or jsut become fussy??

Default Re: nursing time s gone from 40mins to 10 overnight??

Babies really do shorten their nursing times when they are a few months old. However, since he's crying on the left and it's a new development, I personally would probably see the dr. just to make sure he doesn't have an ear infection or something.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Default Re: nursing time s gone from 40mins to 10 overnight??

kaitlynsmom makes a good point, but my son did the same thing with a couple of days when he was abt 8w old. It's like suddenly he got WAY more efficient at nursing!