Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A few questions - 1 regarding too much weight gain

Default A few questions - 1 regarding too much weight gain

Hi,

A friend referred me to this site so I thought I'd post a few questions I have. Thanks in advance for any advice you all have.

My son is four weeks old and has been doing very well with breastfeeding.

1) I started out feeding off both breasts per feeding but then switched to one breast per feeding at around 2 weeks. I then developed a clogged milk duct and went back to feeding off both breasts and didn't go back to one per feeding. Does it matter if you do one vs. two breasts per feeding?

2) When do you know if your baby is gaining too much weight? My son weighed 7 lbs. 12 oz. at birth, 7 lbs 4 oz. when we left the hospital and 7 lbs, 14 oz. (at doctor's office) at 5 days old. We've weighed him at home twice and the last time he weighed 10 lbs., 3 oz.. That was probably last Sunday when he was 3 weeks and 4 days old.

3) How do you know if you have an oversupply of milk?

4) How do you know if your baby is getting the right amount of Hind vs. Fore milk? Is there something about the color of the baby's poop?

Thanks again!

Default Re: A few questions - 1 regarding too much weight gain

Quote Originally Posted by diane80
    1) I started out feeding off both breasts per feeding but then switched to one breast per feeding at around 2 weeks. I then developed a clogged milk duct and went back to feeding off both breasts and didn't go back to one per feeding. Does it matter if you do one vs. two breasts per feeding?
    Offer the first breast, and when he's finished, offer the second breast. If he's too full to nurse on the second side, that's okay. Offer the second breast first the next time you nurse.

Quote Originally Posted by diane80
    2) When do you know if your baby is gaining too much weight? My son weighed 7 lbs. 12 oz. at birth, 7 lbs 4 oz. when we left the hospital and 7 lbs, 14 oz. (at doctor's office) at 5 days old. We've weighed him at home twice and the last time he weighed 10 lbs., 3 oz.. That was probably last Sunday when he was 3 weeks and 4 days old.
    You can't overfeed a breastfed baby. (You can however overfeed a bottle fed baby.) Just feed him whenever he's hungry.

Hopefully someone will chime in with more information about oversupply.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

unless you have a good scale I wouldn't worry too much about weighting him at home.
    that link has some good things to look for if you think you are dealing with an over supply problem.

Hi there!

As the PP said, offer him the first breast and let him nurse until he's done on that side, then offer the second. You may only nurse on one breast per feeding, but that's okay and your body should quickly adjust to that.

I'd say his weight gain alone is an excellent sign that he's getting plenty of foremilk! Breastfed babies often gain weight very rapidly in the early months and then level off around the time they become mobile. Those charts you see at the doctors office are usually based on formula fed babies!

HTH
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!