Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: any tips for getting period back so we can try for #2??

Default any tips for getting period back so we can try for #2??

I never thought I'd be hoping for my period to come but..... it's been 14.5 months and still nothing, and the problem is we'd like to start trying for baby #2.

Yesterday I posted asking about night-weaning because I've heard this can be the key to getting your period back. (And yesterday I actually typed that DD is 13.5 mos, not 14.5 mos.... Yikes, now I know I must be sleep-deprived!)

Other mamas rec'ed
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp
    which we're thinking of trying, but I wanted to ask if anyone else has been in this situation -- What did you/can you do to help get your period back?

Right now DD nurses before her morning nap if she's with me & then to go to sleep at night (we co-sleep) & then 6-8Xs during the night. Occaisionally she nurses other times during the day but it's pretty much just around sleep.

THANKS for any tips you might have!

Default Re: any tips for getting period back so we can try for #2??

I'm taking Vitex and B6. It's supposed to help you get AF back if you're still breastfeeding. However, it doesn't work overnight and some women need a few months on it to regain AF. HTH.

Many women find return of AF when they nightwean, that wasn't my luck though.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Thanks for the info on vitex & B6.... I'm going to make a trip to the health food store & see if they have it.
    How long have you been taking both? Notice any side effects?

I'm wondering what the average time most BFing women get their period back....

Sorry night-weaning didn't do the trick for you. I'm dreading doing it but hope it works for me.

Anyone else been in this situation?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*k.m.22 View Post
    Thanks for the info on vitex & B6.... I'm going to make a trip to the health food store & see if they have it.
    How long have you been taking both? Notice any side effects?

I'm wondering what the average time most BFing women get their period back....

Sorry night-weaning didn't do the trick for you. I'm dreading doing it but hope it works for me.

Anyone else been in this situation?
    I think the average time women get AF back is 14 months. I remember reading that somewhre...

Positive side effects from vitex, my milk supply has been very abundant which is cool. Other than that I haven't noticed anything. I've been on B6 for about 10 months and Vitex almost a month.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

My DS is 19.5 mo. and I just got my period back last week. He does not nurse at night , and has not for a year, so that may not be a factor for when you do start again. I have noticed that he has slowed down the number of nursings over the last couple of weeks. I think that is what has brought back my period.

Good luck trying for #2!
    Melanie

Mommy to Chase (4/18/07)
    Mommy to Keeley (10/18/96)

Wife to Eric a and my best friend

This link http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/fe...y.html#achieve may help--it has a topic titled "Do I need to wean to get pregnant?" HTH.
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

I'm sure you've heard this before, but you can get pregnant before you get your period back. I was still nursing my 22 month old son almost exclusively since he wouldn't eat anything else (texture issues) and BOOM! Pregnant. So, just go for it and see what happens!
    On a more serious note, they say that cutting down on night time nursing increases your likelihood of getting it back sooner- something about hormone levels at night...