Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!!! breastfeedeing again

Question HELP!!!! breastfeedeing again

I have a 7 week old daughter. i tried breastfeeding when she was fist born but stopped after just 2 days. i noticed today that my breasts started leaking today. would i be able to give breastfeeding a try again?? i really want to give it another try. the formula she is on makes her really gassy and i dont want to keep switching formulas on her so i figured since they started leaking again i should just give it a try. if it is possible, i need tips on getting my milk to come back in. thank you

Default Re: HELP!!!! breastfeedeing again

Bravo! Bfing your lo is definitely possible! I would give it a try. And hang in there, as it might take some determination and patience. I'm sure you'll make it work and hope that you'll find just how rewarding all the hard work is.

Here are a few links that should help ...

Relactation

Let us know how it goes ...

Yes you can!!!! Have you tried latching on again? Can I ask why you stopped breastfeeding after 2 days? If you had a latch problem initially, I would advise finding a LLL leader in your area or a lactation consultant who would be able to see you, evaluate your latch, and help you get started.
    This may not be easy, but if you plug through the first few weeks, you and your baby will be glad you did. You'll be exclusively bf'ing in no time!
    Keep us posted, and come back with questions as they arise. You'll find a great support system here!
    Jill
    Wife to Steven, mom to ds Noah (11), ds Oliver (4), dss Peter (11), Linus (2), and 2 in heaven.

Buy Eco-friendly Handmade at GaGa Bum
    Blogaholic ~ SERENITY NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Jillybean
    Yes you can!!!! Have you tried latching on again? Can I ask why you stopped breastfeeding after 2 days? If you had a latch problem initially, I would advise finding a LLL leader in your area or a lactation consultant who would be able to see you, evaluate your latch, and help you get started.
    This may not be easy, but if you plug through the first few weeks, you and your baby will be glad you did. You'll be exclusively bf'ing in no time!
    Keep us posted, and come back with questions as they arise. You'll find a great support system here!

The first night was great with her feeding. the nurses said she was doing a perfect latch.well the second night she well she was getting up every 20 minutes an dwanting to feed for only 5 or 10 minutes. i was so exhausted and i just at the moment said i just wanted to bottle feed. i was thinking that if i was really tired now i didnt know how i was going to do it when i got home because i also have a 2 year old..i should have really thought about for awhile. i just really hope that i can breastfeed because with her being so gassy with formula and i dont want to keep switching formulas on her. if she wont latch on would it be ok just to pump and give it to her in a bottle?

Keep in mind that you were exhausted, but you also had just given birth!! It wasn't your average day.
    Pumping would be good, and will help you increase your milk supply. Refer to the "relactation" posts for more advice too. Some women exclusively pump and bottle feed, but usually because they HAVE to. It would be much easier on you in the long run for her to be taking the breast. Have you tried latching baby back on?
    Jill
    Wife to Steven, mom to ds Noah (11), ds Oliver (4), dss Peter (11), Linus (2), and 2 in heaven.

Also, once you start nursing again, you can wear baby in a sling and nurse all you want while cleaning, caring for your 2 year old, shopping. With a little practice, you can do just about anything while baby is latched on.
    Jill

i have tried latching her on but its like she wants wants nothing to do with the breast. she just cries and turns her head away. i think she maybe used to the bottle.

Keep trying....it may take a while for her to catch on. Are you able to hand express some milk onto your nipple so she knows what's coming? In the meantime, keep pumping to establish a good supply. I have never had the same experience personally, so read some of these threads for ideas. http://www.lalecheleague.org/vbullet...splay.php?f=50 Can any of you ladies who are relactating give some more advice? I'm also going to suggest to the moderator to move your thread in the hopes that you get more "traffic".
    Jill

thank you so much. i never tried with my first but i truly want to do this and am going to do everything i can to do this. i tried hand expressing but theres not that much coming out. is it supposed to take a long time to get a good bit of it??i was doing it for like i think 10 minutes and didnt even get half of an ounce. i really came into the whole breastfeeding thing not really knowing anything about it...Thank You

I would definitely see a lactation consultant if possible. Contact the hospital or place you delivered and ask. It sounds like you have potential!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on