Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple Pain Still at 3 weeks

Default Nipple Pain Still at 3 weeks

With my last husband 9 years ago nursing our daughter turned into a nightmare and I was labeled a failure and she ended up on formula (yuck)...so flash forward to today with my great new husband and my precious son to having his full support on nursing and doing anything necessary to help, but I am still having pain when he first latches on!!! By the end of the first week he had managed to pull some skin off and that was so painful my better half even said he would understand if I stopped but I simply do not want to give up this incredible feeling I have when I hold him close and he nurses. On average last week it was about 8 seconds literally of intense pain before Michael was sucking that I was not almost crawling the wall in pain so I guess this is getting better considering it doesn't last as long but what gives? All the websites say it should be over with by now and it does not seem to be getting better. If this is normal and to be expected I can get use to it over time but just want to know what it is I am doing wrong before failing with this little angel.

Default Re: Nipple Pain Still at 3 weeks

Well number one you are not failing your little one.... You are trying to find help and doing your absolute best.. Don't give up it takes time.. How is your little ones latch? Is he slurping your nipple like spagetti or having a big open fish lip latch?? are you inserting yoru finger to help un latch or pulling him off.. ??
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

I try to get him to latch on when he opens his mouth wide but he barely opens his mouth unless he is crying so I hurry to soothe him, only then he is upset and clapses down like he is trying to keep me from moving. I have tried the cuddle position and when we are in bed I lay him right next to me. Every once in a while I will get him with his mouth wide open and the pain is almost nonexistent, but out of three weeks we have had this maybe four times...I use the lanolin and thank God for this. Have I waited to long to ask a LC to come over or me to them? For something to be so natural and look so easy this is one of hte biggest challenges of being a Mom. His labor and delivery was nothing compared to nursing. I would not even let my better half keep bottles in the house or have a can of formula just to ensure I don't fail.

no I would call you LC tomorrow if you can it is never to late.. have you tried pulling on his chin gently when you latch to help him open wide.. ??
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

i have honestly not reallytouched his face at all until he is finished. I will call for a LC tomorrow. i have not even taken a BF class so i hope this helps! thank you so much.

no problem I had to call around two weeks when my youngest was born because of what sounds like a simular thing and they helped so much and was able to solve it over the phone.. I was letting my little one slurp my like spagetti and man it would hurt sooooo bad at first them get better once she opened up.. so I really had to practice getting her to open wide even if I have to breack latch and relatch again... also I had to break latch as soon as so fell asleep until I healed because she would bite down on my sore nipple... Good luck!!! I hope it all works out for you!!
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Hello! great idea and recommendation about the LC. She was a God send! Turns out the baby should have called me Ragu from how he slurped me like spaghetti. This is the first time I have nursed without feeling like his little tongue was made of sand paper! She also answered all my questions about me being his human pacifer and apparently it is just a growth spurt and with a few little pointers he is back to his happy self. I wasnt sure whether or not to tell her we are a cosleeping family but in the end we did and she was pleased. We have one of those snuggle nests but as much as he eats he barely stays in it. Thank you again and I appreiciate all your help!

ohhh I am so thrilled everything worked out!!! Yeah they are a God send!!.. tell you what it is not fun being RAGU ... there is lots of good advice on these boards.. don't be a stranger...
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones