Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple pain - possible thrush?

Default Nipple pain - possible thrush?

I have a 7 week old. After much pain-free nursing, for the last few days my left nipple has been red and very sore, it is quite painful when she nurses. My right seems OK, however, so I have been nursing on the right and pumping on the left (pumping doesn't hurt). I really don't think it's a latch issue, I'm pretty sure we have that mastered by now.

She has been fussing while eating, and having shorter feedings than usual, and she has been gassy.

I can't see any white stuff in her mouth, but I can't get a great look, she's too squirmy. She does have some minor diaper rash but it doesn't look like the pictures of thrush that I saw on the Internet. I can't find a good picture of thrush on a nipple to compare mine to.

Does this sound like it could be thrush? Is it common in babies her age? I did have a c/s so antibiotics during delivery, and I did have cracked and bleeding nipples, but that was weeks ago.

Thanks for any input.

Default Re: Nipple pain - possible thrush?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alisonada View Post
    I have a 7 week old. After much pain-free nursing, for the last few days my left nipple has been red and very sore, it is quite painful when she nurses. My right seems OK, however, so I have been nursing on the right and pumping on the left (pumping doesn't hurt). I really don't think it's a latch issue, I'm pretty sure we have that mastered by now.

She has been fussing while eating, and having shorter feedings than usual, and she has been gassy.

I can't see any white stuff in her mouth, but I can't get a great look, she's too squirmy. She does have some minor diaper rash but it doesn't look like the pictures of thrush that I saw on the Internet. I can't find a good picture of thrush on a nipple to compare mine to.

Does this sound like it could be thrush? Is it common in babies her age? I did have a c/s so antibiotics during delivery, and I did have cracked and bleeding nipples, but that was weeks ago.

Thanks for any input.
    Could be thrush. Here's a link to help.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

Could you describe the pain? This might be easier for some of us here if we know what kind of pain you are having.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Can you describe the pain? Does it hurt other times when you are not nursing?

Usually you'd have the symptoms in both nipples with thrush because baby nurses both sides and would spread the yeast. That makes me thin there may be another problem.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks - the nipple pain is very sharp and intense when she's nursing, especially right when she latches. I have some very mild soreness when she's not nursing, but it does hurt more if I run my finger over my nipple or something. I guess I should mention that my right nipple is a tiny bit sore, but that just started and it doesn't hurt when I nurse her on the right. Maybe it's just starting to spread? Or would it have spread by now (left nipple has hurt for a few days)?

Is this something I should run to the pedi for yet today (would be a huge hassle) or can I wait until tomorrow and see how it goes?

Is there any itching or burning at all? Do you notice that it tingles when your nipples get wet- like in the shower or when your breasts leak?

it's hard to tell because different women experience thrush in different ways, but those were the main symptoms I had when I had thrush.

Here's a good LLL resource on determining if you have thrush. There are some treatment options there as well.

The thing that worked best for me was gentian violet, which you can get over the counter at most drugstores- I got mine at walmart. Here's an article about how to use it if you're interested.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

You can wait until tomorrow, but make sure you go then. If they diagnose thrush than you can probably call your doc to get treatment or you can try genitian violet. Here's some info on that.

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/06gentian_violet.html

You will also need to start a strict cleaning regimin. You will only want to wear bras and shirts once. Adding a cup of vinegar to your wash will help. You will also need to sterelize all pump parts, pacifiers, toys or anything that comes in contact with baby's mouth.

Remember, even if you lo has no symptoms they can still have thrush.

Good luck.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!