Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping q

Default Pumping q

When i first tried pumping my lo was about month old. I could get about 2 oz per pumping session. But then we got thrush. I quite pumping because we ended up getting 6 or 7 times. Now she's 8 months old and we're starting a sippy cup. I would rather give her bm over homo milk. I've tried pumping a few times and i've been lucky if i i can get .5 and oz. It's probably closer to .25 really. I tend to pump right after she's ate so that i have a really good let down. They don't feel empty but it's relatively hard to tell. Is it just a matter of needing to increase my supply?? Or is it possible that i just can't pump??
    born 03/24/11, and and
    born 03/21/08 Breastfed for 2 yrs, and still when needed

Default Re: Pumping q

That's probably a pretty good amount to get after a feeding. You could try pumping in the mornings, most mamas have more milk in the am. If you continue to pump after feedings- or after a particular feeding at a particular time your body will adjust and start producing more, but it may take a few days or a week before you start to notice a difference.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hummingbird View Post
    When i first tried pumping my lo was about month old. I could get about 2 oz per pumping session. But then we got thrush. I quite pumping because we ended up getting 6 or 7 times. Now she's 8 months old and we're starting a sippy cup. I would rather give her bm over homo milk. I've tried pumping a few times and i've been lucky if i i can get .5 and oz. It's probably closer to .25 really. I tend to pump right after she's ate so that i have a really good let down. They don't feel empty but it's relatively hard to tell. Is it just a matter of needing to increase my supply?? Or is it possible that i just can't pump??
    Pumping takes practice. Just because you are not getting a lot at first, keep at it and you should start getting more.

You will not get that much milk after you pump, but it will help to increase your supply.

What time are you pumping? A lot of women have the best success pumping in the morning because your supply is usually higher. You could also try eating a bowl of oatmeal. I pump at work, and get better output if I eat oatmeal daily.

Keep pumping, and you should start to have better output. What kind of pump are you using? I know that some women just don't respond to the pump as well as others also.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I'm pumping after every nursing session. I'm using a gerber pump. It's second hand but seems good to me. Is it realistic to think i could give her half a sippy cup of milk every day or two sippy cups?? how do i decide how strong the suction should be? Do you mama's do that??
    born 03/24/11, and and
    born 03/21/08 Breastfed for 2 yrs, and still when needed

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hummingbird View Post
    I'm pumping after every nursing session. I'm using a gerber pump. It's second hand but seems good to me. Is it realistic to think i could give her half a sippy cup of milk every day or two sippy cups?? how do i decide how strong the suction should be? Do you mama's do that??
    We don't use a sippy cup here yet. My lo is only 13 weeks old.

I wouldn't expect to get much after you nurse. Would you be able to pump maybe before you nurse? Most women find that their supply is at its best in the morning.

Remember your body is constantly making milk, so if you pump before your lo eats, there will still be plenty for your baby to drink

I do not know anything about the Gerber pump. I turn my suction all the way up on mine, but it's comfortable for me. I suggest using whatever suction is comfortable for you.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I recommend using a hospital-grade pump, if you have access to the health dept or a hospital that rents them out. In my county, the health dept gives them to you for a $50 deposit and you keep them as long as you need. The suction and speed are much better and they are MUCH more efficient. You may get more milk drained out, leading to more milk production.

Call around--I'd be willing to bet you can find a place that rents them out. Where I live is a pretty teeny town, so if we have them, your area oughta! GL
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!