Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is my supply low?

Default Is my supply low?

I really think that my son wants more milk, but we're just not making it happen.

I've read all the info. He has enough wet/dirty diapers, but they are by no means soaking. He's in cloth though, so I haven't tried to pour in water myself to see what it feels like. He's gaining weight, well, as of our last doctor's visit which was a couple of weeks ago.

But he does not end a feeding in a good mood. He ends is by pulling off the breast over and over again and relatching over and over again until I give up, or he gives up. And then he cries. He does settle down after a minute or so, but he always acts like he wants more.

This past week he eliminated a middle-of-the-night feeding, so I figured that he would want to nurse more during the day, but he will not nurse unless the milk lets down immediately. If it's not to his liking, he'll throw himself backwards, pull off the breast again and again and just cry. It's terrible!

I'm going to pick up some fenugreek today and see if this can help me increase our supply without him really having to do any work. Any other thoughts on what I can do?

Should I consider going to the doc's and weighing him before/after a feeding or is this too much?

Default Re: Is my supply low?

The best thing you can do to increase your supply is to let your lo nurse as long and as much as they want to. You can also try eating oatmeal daily. This helps lots of moms around here including myself.

Maybe you could try pumping a little bit before you latch your lo on so your let down will come a little faster.

How old is your lo? Could this be a growth spurt? Here's some info on that.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html

Since your lo is gaining weight and having the appropriate amount of wet and soiled diapers I think you are doing a great job.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mylesmommy View Post
    Should I consider going to the doc's and weighing him before/after a feeding or is this too much?
    If it will put your mind at ease, I say do it. However, instead of going to the doctor's office, you might want to rent a scale, and do before and after weights for a few days. The average of a dozen measurements will give you a much more reliable picture of how much your baby is eating than just one will, because breastfed babies can vary their intake pretty significantly over the course of a day. Sometimes they'll nurse for a small snack, and other times they'll tuck in for a full meal.

Have you considered pumping for a few minutes before latching your baby on? If you can use the pump to start a letdown, your baby may be a little less frustrated at the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have considered pumping for him so that he doesn't have to work for the let-down. But usually I just bounce him a little to calm him down and get him to try again. It really doesn't take that long for my let-down and if he just sits tight for few moments it will usually happen. It's the crying after feedings that makes me think he's not getting enough. I can deal with his impatience

Oh...and he's a little over 4 months old and about 13.5lbs. 6 1/2lbs. at birth. So he's done very well with weight gain.

I'm going to look into renting a scale. Thanks!

I can relate with you. My LO did the exact same thing and I was struggling with my milk supply as well. I started pumping religiously after each feeding to get the extra stimulation, started eating oatmeal and started fenugreek. I still do these things to maintain an adequate milk supply.

You're doing great! Don't forget to drink lots of water and try to rest!

Mattea's Mommie
    Born: May 18 * 2008

Oh...and he's a little over 4 months old and about 13.5lbs. 6 1/2lbs. at birth. So he's done very well with weight gain.
    In that case, I doubt that milk supply is a problem! Could the fussiness after nursing be related to gas or acid reflux?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    In that case, I doubt that milk supply is a problem! Could the fussiness after nursing be related to gas or acid reflux?
    I was just going to suggest that. My LO is about the same age and we have almost the exact same issues. She's very impatient before let down and also often fussy after eating. I know she's getting enough, I'm sure your LO is too, especially with good weight gain. Usually with my LO it's gas. She's fine after a few minutes, and on occasion when she's really upset we use Mylicon.
    Mama to Beatrice Maxine born 8-3-08
    , ,

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beamaxmama View Post
    I was just going to suggest that. My LO is about the same age and we have almost the exact same issues. She's very impatient before let down and also often fussy after eating. I know she's getting enough, I'm sure your LO is too, especially with good weight gain. Usually with my LO it's gas. She's fine after a few minutes, and on occasion when she's really upset we use Mylicon.
    He is a very gassy little man. Always burping and toot-in too. I guess I just didn't think that it would be an all the time, every feeding possibility. I don't believe it's reflux since he hardly spits up and he always calms down soon afterward.

I'm going to start fenugreek anyway and see if it helps. Maybe he just wants to be a porker and eat a ton!

breast compression can help keep the baby at the breast longer and nursing beter...
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

He is a very gassy little man. Always burping and toot-in too. I guess I just didn't think that it would be an all the time, every feeding possibility. I don't believe it's reflux since he hardly spits up and he always calms down soon afterward.

I'm going to start fenugreek anyway and see if it helps. Maybe he just wants to be a porker and eat a ton!
    I bet anything it's just gas/upset tummy then. Word of caution, I tried Feungreek, and it made my babe super uncomfortable, more so than usual. Give it a try, but definitely be on the watch for it.
    Mama to Beatrice Maxine born 8-3-08
    , ,