Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will My Breast Milk Help my SICK 3 year old?

Default Will My Breast Milk Help my SICK 3 year old?

I can't find the answer to this question anywhere. My 3 year old has the flu, he's very sick and there's nothing that can help him besides time and fluids, etc. He was weaned off my milk when he was 13 months. I now have a 4 month old baby girl and I produce tons and tons of milk. The baby and I are not sick, my 3 year old has been sick for almost 4 days. He has a high fever and is coughing so hard he throws up at night, and his nose is running non-stop. My question is, since I obviously have an immunity to this flu virus, and have given the immunity to my daughter through my breast milk, what if I gave my 3 year old some of my milk in a sippy cup? Would it help him get better quicker? How much would he need for it to make a difference? Does anyone have the answer? I am positive I can't be the only one that has had this question before.

Default Re: Will My Breast Milk Help my SICK 3 year old?

I'm not sure about whether it will help him get better quicker now that he is already sick, but it certainly won't hurt him. It would be higher in nutrition and other beneficial qualities than most things that you could use to rehydrate him, like pedialyte or fruit juice. I'd try it out and see if he will drink it. If he will, just keep offering it. It definitely won't hurt and may help.

I hope he feels better soon!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I'm not sure about whether it will help him get better quicker now that he is already sick, but it certainly won't hurt him. It would be higher in nutrition and other beneficial qualities than most things that you could use to rehydrate him, like pedialyte or fruit juice. I'd try it out and see if he will drink it. If he will, just keep offering it. It definitely won't hurt and may help.

I hope he feels better soon!!
    It can only do good, I would try and see what happens.

I would say it can't hurt! Try giving him a few oz. in a cup and see if he'll drink it. It'd be WAY better than pedialyte and the like.

Regarding your immunity to that flu virus though, you could be actually immune to it, or you might not be. Your immune system could be just fighting off the virus and you're not noticing any symptoms, or, the incubation period of that virus could be longer than 4 days, and you just haven't come down with it yet. For instance, last Monday night, my oldest son started coming down with a really bad cold/flu. My youngest son had a sore throat the next day, but he didn't feel really bad until a couple of days later. I thought I was in the clear...but a few days ago (6 days after oldest came down with it), I started coming down with it. My yougest son (breastfed) has had a much easier time of it by far. I have had an easier time with the cold so far as well. We all have the same/similar symptoms, so I'm pretty sure it's all the same virus.

Anyway, all that to say that it's still good to keep your 2 kids apart right now, and have your 3 year old wash his hands often, on the off chance that you're not actually immune to the virus IYKWIM.

you guys are gonna laugh, but I explained it to him and he said no, baby milk is for babies, and I said, but what if I make it into chocolate baby milk? Then he was all for it. He's drinking some now. (chocolate syrup in breast milk? can't say I ever did that before).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*teebee2e View Post
    you guys are gonna laugh, but I explained it to him and he said no, baby milk is for babies, and I said, but what if I make it into chocolate baby milk? Then he was all for it. He's drinking some now. (chocolate syrup in breast milk? can't say I ever did that before).
    whatever works, right?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*francis.breadandjam View Post
    I would say it can't hurt! Try giving him a few oz. in a cup and see if he'll drink it. It'd be WAY better than pedialyte and the like.

Regarding your immunity to that flu virus though, you could be actually immune to it, or you might not be. Your immune system could be just fighting off the virus and you're not noticing any symptoms, or, the incubation period of that virus could be longer than 4 days, and you just haven't come down with it yet. For instance, last Monday night, my oldest son started coming down with a really bad cold/flu. My youngest son had a sore throat the next day, but he didn't feel really bad until a couple of days later. I thought I was in the clear...but a few days ago (6 days after oldest came down with it), I started coming down with it. My yougest son (breastfed) has had a much easier time of it by far. I have had an easier time with the cold so far as well. We all have the same/similar symptoms, so I'm pretty sure it's all the same virus.

Anyway, all that to say that it's still good to keep your 2 kids apart right now, and have your 3 year old wash his hands often, on the off chance that you're not actually immune to the virus IYKWIM.
    Yes I hear you there, I'm still bracing for us to get it, but he caught it super fast, he was exposed to it his cousin's house on Friday afternoon/evening and began coming down with it by sunday evening, and was full blown by monday. I thought it was impossible for him to catch something that fast but looked it up and its very possible to catch the flu in 2 days. So I just assumed it would be the same for us but you never know, we could catch it anytime, yur right, but it can't hurt to try the breast milk. All of the other kids and adults in the house where the child that had this flu virus that my son got it from did not get sick, only the 4 year old. And now my son. So lets hope we dont get it either.

I say whatever works!!

Chocolate breast milk. That's great.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Yes I hear you there, I'm still bracing for us to get it, but he caught it super fast, he was exposed to it his cousin's house on Friday afternoon/evening and began coming down with it by sunday evening, and was full blown by monday. I thought it was impossible for him to catch something that fast but looked it up and its very possible to catch the flu in 2 days. So I just assumed it would be the same for us but you never know, we could catch it anytime, yur right, but it can't hurt to try the breast milk. All of the other kids and adults in the house where the child that had this flu virus that my son got it from did not get sick, only the 4 year old. And now my son. So lets hope we dont get it either.
    I'm praying you guys don't get it either!

I do have to say, that my little breastfed boy did have an easier time of it.....those antibodies definitely help, because since I was exposed to it, my body started producing antibodies to it, excreting them in the breastmilk, and ds got them by drinking them... It helped.