Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sore nipples at 5 months

Default sore nipples at 5 months

YAY DS is 5 months today!! I'm so excited that we have made it this far. and there is no end in sight!

anyway. when he nurses my nipples are really really painful and sore. could it be teething?? i'm not sure he's teething or not, most of the time when he's fussy it turns out to be gas. or maybe hormones making my nipples sore?

also when he nurses on the right side, he is constantly turning his head down so he loses latch.. i have to hold is head still so he will nurse on the right side. any ideas why he's doing that? it does help when i do the football hold on the right side.
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Default Re: sore nipples at 5 months

Sounds like it could be teeth.
    Does he have any yet or would this be the first tooth?
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

he doesnt have any yet.
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

DD used to do the head turning thing with OALD, but I doubt that's your issue.
    Is he chewing everything in sight? We've found for teething that DD wants to chew on all kinds of different things, so she rotates through a small silicone spatula, Sophie the giraffe, a few teething rings, teething keys, a wet frozen washcloth etc. Maybe offer him something cool before nursing to see if that helps.

Do you have any homeopathics like Hylands teething tabs, or Camilia? These both seem to work pretty well for us.

Are your nips raw or damaged? Could it be thrush? Have either one of you had antibiotics?

Hopefully it's just teeth. I think they get uncomfortable and just don't know what to do with it.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Could you be pg? My nipples were very sore when I was pg and still nursing.

DS2 also pulls off to look around a lot. When he's tired he pushes down, very annoying.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

he doesnt really chew on things too much, mostly sucks on his hands and sucks and licks anything he holds.

one night he was real fussy and wanting to chew on something, but that hasnt happened again.

they dont look damaged... so maybe just him adjusted to teething

i dont think if im pg i havent gotten AF back...so i just assume my chances are small of getting pg. Dh and i DTD with no C though.

thanks for all your replies.

oh and i do have hylands i have tried those a few times.