Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will my supply hold up ladies???

Question Will my supply hold up ladies???

Hello... constant lurker here...first time poster

I am going back to work and am happy to say that I only have to work 3 days a week wich areTues, Fri and Sat. At my job, there is almost no place to pump... no outlet in the bathroom and every other area is a public space. So since Tuesdays are very slow there, I can use an extension cord and pump once in the bathrooom, but Friday and Saturdays are very very busy and I will not have anywhere to pump. I will feed my lo (13 weeks old) at 7 am.... and not be able to nurse again until 7 pm. I know that since I pump Tuesdays and am home Wed and Thurs I will have a good shot at keeping my supply up to snuff... but my question for you expert ladies is... What about Fri and Sat.... without pumping will my supply be irrevocably affected?
    I've already started eating lots of oatmeal just in case....
    Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

Default Re: Will my supply hold up ladies???

How old is your baby? That is really important as far as how it will effect your supply.

Some mamas have luck pumping in their cars. Most electric pumps have adaptors for car lighters (just like a cell phone charger) or if you have a manual pump you wouldn't even need that. You can put up a sunsheild and hang blankets in the windows and have a private space.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I don't know but at 13 weeks my supply was fragile and I was pumping 3 times in an 8 hour time, doing thsi two days back to back for 12 hour stretches i feel would ruin your supply....

there has to be something you could do to be able to pump.... pp mentioned pumping in the car, also where do you live, US? state? there are laws to protect your right to pump....we can help you copme up with a solution that works
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I'd have to agree with pp... It would affect mine 100%, but mine is very fragile too, moody.
    I'd try pumping in the car, definitely
    Good luck!
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work

ugh.. i was hoping to hear.. "naahhh, don't worry, youll be fine." My lo is 13 weeks old. When is supply not fragile? is there a time when it just regulates or something.
    i think i am going to have to figure out a way to pump... i might just use an extension cord and occupy the bathroom for 15 minutes.. but i definitely don't see how I can pump more than once I will miss 3 feedings when im at work. Maybe just maybe I'll be able to rebuild it on sunday and mondays??? ugh.
    does the manual pump take just as much time as the electric (medela back pack) ...??
    thank you for the information and support. i really appreciate it.

I would probably try to find a way to pump at 13 weeks. I think around 6-7 months I was able to decrease my pumping while at work, but even then I was pumping 2x in an 8 hour shift (~10 hours away from baby).

Also, every woman is different and your body may respond differently than someone elses. Try to pay close attention to your supply and if you notice it dropping you may need to be really firm with your boss and tell them that they need to give you time and a place to pump.

Do you get a lunch break and 2 15 minute breaks during a shift? It will prob be a pain, but you may need to use these breaks to pump.

As for manual vs electric, again it depends on the person. I preferred the manual and my body responded better to it. The time you spend getting the extension cord ready and the pump set up may be better pent manually pumping, but manual pumps can only do one boob at a time too, so maybe it would be better to have the double electric.

Good luck, hopefully you can figure out something.

Oh, another thing to conside is that the first few weeks you will probably HAVE to pump to keep yourself from developing painfully engorged breasts which can lead to plugged ducts and even mastitis (breast infection).
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sillymomma View Post
    ugh.. i was hoping to hear.. "naahhh, don't worry, youll be fine." My lo is 13 weeks old.
    so sorry mama

When is supply not fragile? is there a time when it just regulates or something.
    for me it was around 10-11 months old
    i think i am going to have to figure out a way to pump... i might just use an extension cord and occupy the bathroom for 15 minutes.. but i definitely don't see how I can pump more than once I will miss 3 feedings when im at work. Maybe just maybe I'll be able to rebuild it on sunday and mondays??? ugh.
    no advice here just more of the same, in 12 hours you should get at least 2 if not 3 breaks, I think you'd need to pump at all of these in order to keep your supply up, I can remember pumping once per day for a few days at work and staying up all hours of the night to try and rebuild supply for a week, posting threads here on how to do it, etc...

does the manual pump take just as much time as the electric (medela back pack) ...??
    every woman is different for me the Medela is great I couldn't get the hang of manual, but other moms say manual works best....
    thank you for the information and support. i really appreciate it
    can you tell us more about your work situation, type of place, what type of work you do, etc... then maybe we can help....

there are things you can do to cut down on length of time to pump, like not breaking down the bottles, and horns to clean etc between each session, and massage/compressions you can do to increase output in less time...

were here to help
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

ok, here is more of my situation... i work in a small salon. there are no breaks. if you arent busy.. that is your break. im sure i can look into the legallity of breaks and pumping but i don't want to go there as i love what i do and where i work.

before i had my baby my goal was to bf for 3 mos. Once I had her, I almost quit every single day of weeks 4 5 and 6. I am so glad I stuck it out...because I really enjoy it now and since i've been on this site all the time, i am super educated on all of the benefits. That being said, I HATE PUMPING BIG TIME but am coming to terms with it being a necessity in order to maintain my supply.

When I worked yesterday I only pumped once yet my supply seems unaffected today...lo is content

I am going to work this friday and saturday. I will do everything in my power to pump at least twice on both days. I hope that does the trick because I cannot imagine adding another pumping session on those days. I don't want to give up now...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sillymomma View Post
    ok, here is more of my situation... i work in a small salon. there are no breaks. if you arent busy.. that is your break. im sure i can look into the legallity of breaks and pumping but i don't want to go there as i love what i do and where i work.

before i had my baby my goal was to bf for 3 mos. Once I had her, I almost quit every single day of weeks 4 5 and 6. I am so glad I stuck it out...because I really enjoy it now and since i've been on this site all the time, i am super educated on all of the benefits. That being said, I HATE PUMPING BIG TIME but am coming to terms with it being a necessity in order to maintain my supply.

When I worked yesterday I only pumped once yet my supply seems unaffected today...lo is content

I am going to work this friday and saturday. I will do everything in my power to pump at least twice on both days. I hope that does the trick because I cannot imagine adding another pumping session on those days. I don't want to give up now...
    Okay, I've seen a lot of threads of mama's talking about reverse cycling here's the link http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html. I don't know if your LO has to be a certain age but I hope the link will be of some help and hopefully some other mom who has reversed cycled and been successful at it will give you more advice and encouragement. You're doing a great job!
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

What kind of pump do you have? I had a battery pack for my medela so during times when the "pumping room" i.e. closet with a plug in, was unavailable I could pump in the bathroom.

I'm more concerned about you being really uncomfortable and engorged during a long shift w/o pumping at all and the possibility of mastitis.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.