Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help me figure THIS ONE out!

Default Help me figure THIS ONE out!

So...I am still having issues with my left breast. My left under produces and my right way over produces. I've been starting lo on the left every time to make sure that breast gets a let down. I know it's bad, but if I start her on the right, she gets full and doesn't want to nurse at all on the left. In addition, she was doing GREAT over the weekend - and for the last three days she's had bright lime green poops. Not sure how to even out my supply and get her to get to the hind milk.

I pump 1x during the day at work - and we co sleep so she nurses all night...

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Default Re: Help me figure THIS ONE out!

Could you try pumping your left breast every time after your lo nurses? This will at least help bring your supply up in your left.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Yeah, I've done that a bunch on and off. I just can't figure out why she's suddenly getting neon green poopies...esp. when I can't pump worth beans!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Girl...welcome to the club! My breasts do the EXACT same thing and have for both babies. My left waaaaaaaay under produces and my right is always full/over full. If I do pump, I consistently...no matter what time of the day...get exactly half from my left breast as I do from my right.

And if I start her out on the right side, she'll get full and never take the left. So I always start on the left. I've tried everything...pumping the left side after nursing, block feeding for 12 hours on the left, etc...my left is just never going to produce as much as the right.

After about 7 mos of nursing with DS...I completely stopped nursing on the left side (he would get impatient and bite me) and I just pumped and used that milk for rice cereal or for a bottle/sippy cup, and I just offered the right.

Good luck and if you find something that works, let me know.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Here is a link about infant stools.

http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp

Maybe you can find something here that helps!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

Thanks for the link. It's so weird. She hasn't had any more blood, but the poo is still lime green. She will eat super fast and then have gas and poop right away. I think I might have an oversupply issue and she's not getting the hindmilk. But I haven't been able to pump much this week - I don't get it!
    Not sure how to help her to get the hind milk so that she's not so gassy and uncomfortable.

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    Thanks for the link. It's so weird. She hasn't had any more blood, but the poo is still lime green. She will eat super fast and then have gas and poop right away. I think I might have an oversupply issue and she's not getting the hindmilk. But I haven't been able to pump much this week - I don't get it!
    Not sure how to help her to get the hind milk so that she's not so gassy and uncomfortable.
    You're welcome!

Good to hear no more blood. It is pretty normal to have very small amounts of blood in their stool. I know it's alarming though no matter how little.

Give your ped a call. I think that you are right about the oversupply issues. Here is a good link for that.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

Here is one about blood in the stools.
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/bloodystool.html

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

Thanks again. I started taking supplements to increase my pumping production, but I think that caused my over supply to kick in again. guess I'll just need to think of other ways to increase what I can pump (or at least maintain what I can pump! My poor baby is so uncomfortable and I haven't been able to fully manage my over supply.

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months