Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My fenugreek experience

Default My fenugreek experience

Hi all, I was not making quite enough milk for my baby (I exclusively pump), so I heard about fenugreek capsules. I tried them, I take 2 capsules 3 x per day, and within 24 hours, my milk supply increased. Not by the bucket full, but I now can pump a few ounces more per session than before, and that is quite blatantly obvious.

Quite pleased with the result, I do, however, smell like maple syrup!!

Didnt really think it would work, but it has, and I definitely think its worth a try.

xxxx

Default Re: My fenugreek experience

It's nice when something just works for you isn't it? Yay!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Hi,
    Speaking of fenugreek, I've bought some powder but I'm not sure how to use it. What foods can it be added to? Does anyone know?

Thanks
    I'm Tracy. Wife to Jez. Mum to Abigail born 4th March 08 and Harriet 15th July 09
    and loving it. Trying out with new baby - so far so good!

Wink Re: My fenugreek experience

I called my LC the other day and she told me to try Mommy's Milk supplement, which is fenugreek and blessed thistle combined in a pill.....I guess it works a little bit better for milk production. My health food store is ordering them for me, so I will update when I have them!
    First time Mommy to Gianna and lovin' my Lil' Family! Head over heels for my DH

Almost one year and counting!!! Love to and

For some reason I have better success with fenugreek capsules and blessed thistle seperately rather than More Mothers Milk Plus.
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

I think that the More Milk Plus worked way better than straight fenugreek.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*abismumuk View Post
    Hi,
    Speaking of fenugreek, I've bought some powder but I'm not sure how to use it. What foods can it be added to? Does anyone know?

Thanks
    It's used in a lot of Indian cooking (here's a fave book with a lot of Indian recipes: http://www.amazon.com/Madhur-Jaffrey...6952097&sr=8-1). For this, I would just take it straight. I take the seeds straight 3x/day (amount: http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...fenugreek.html) now, because they're so much cheaper than the pills.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Hi! I exclusively pump also. I thought I was going to quit a few times, actually almost started a pumping strike, but the boy just doesn't care too much for formula, even though he's taken it before no problem. So lately, well for some time now and actually it was part of the reason I was going to quit, was my supply got low compared to what it had been. I was barely pumping enough for him to have when I went to work, since all my stash got used up or had to be dumped (another sad and angry story). Sometimes he didn't have enough even for a day, and I had to bring him some or leave work early.

So anyway, it makes me feel good that I can still give him my milk at 7 months old just by pumping, but I need to make a little more so it's not so stressful! I've been trying Fenugreek, no effects. That's my experience. I started w/2 610 mg capsules, 3x/day, then moved up to 3 caps, and then I just added one so it's 10 total, still nothing. What do I do?? What is this other stuff, the mothers milk plus or whatever? Will this stuff really work??

OH, I forgot to mention, I am also supplementing with a bottle of formula in the morning, to make sure he has enough breast milk to last the day. He only drinks about 3-4oz of it, occasionally 5 at the most. I'm just not sure what else to do, or if there is something I am doing that's causing my supply to go down this much where I'm barely making it. It's fine if I can be home with him because I'll have enough to give him and be able to pump before the next time, but it's trying to get enough to last the day (3 5-6 oz bottles while I'm at work, a little more if I have it).
    Last edited by @llli*lmg79; November 26th, 2008 at 11:37 PM. Reason: add stuff

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lmg79 View Post
    What do I do?? What is this other stuff, the mothers milk plus or whatever? Will this stuff really work??
    Sorry you aren't having any luck. I would get in contact with your local LLL leader, and I believe all the supplements mentioned can probably be found at a local supplement shop. GL

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ptch View Post
    Hi all, I was not making quite enough milk for my baby (I exclusively pump), so I heard about fenugreek capsules. I tried them, I take 2 capsules 3 x per day, and within 24 hours, my milk supply increased. Not by the bucket full, but I now can pump a few ounces more per session than before, and that is quite blatantly obvious.

Quite pleased with the result, I do, however, smell like maple syrup!!

Didnt really think it would work, but it has, and I definitely think its worth a try.

xxxx
    That's great news! I also think that fenugreek worked for me when my supply started dropping when DD was around 3MO. The great thing about fenugreek is that once your supply is where you want it, you should be able to stop taking it You may want to restart it every once in a while if you feel your supply needs a little boost.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lmg79 View Post
    Hi! I exclusively pump also. I thought I was going to quit a few times, actually almost started a pumping strike, but the boy just doesn't care too much for formula, even though he's taken it before no problem. So lately, well for some time now and actually it was part of the reason I was going to quit, was my supply got low compared to what it had been. I was barely pumping enough for him to have when I went to work, since all my stash got used up or had to be dumped (another sad and angry story). Sometimes he didn't have enough even for a day, and I had to bring him some or leave work early.

So anyway, it makes me feel good that I can still give him my milk at 7 months old just by pumping, but I need to make a little more so it's not so stressful! I've been trying Fenugreek, no effects. That's my experience. I started w/2 610 mg capsules, 3x/day, then moved up to 3 caps, and then I just added one so it's 10 total, still nothing. What do I do?? What is this other stuff, the mothers milk plus or whatever? Will this stuff really work??

OH, I forgot to mention, I am also supplementing with a bottle of formula in the morning, to make sure he has enough breast milk to last the day. He only drinks about 3-4oz of it, occasionally 5 at the most. I'm just not sure what else to do, or if there is something I am doing that's causing my supply to go down this much where I'm barely making it. It's fine if I can be home with him because I'll have enough to give him and be able to pump before the next time, but it's trying to get enough to last the day (3 5-6 oz bottles while I'm at work, a little more if I have it).
    The lowmilksupply.org website has good information about increasing your milk supply. Perhaps you'll find something there that you haven't tried already.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader