Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not the support I expected from DH

Default Re: Not the support I expected from DH

Yup. I pumped. Just once each night before bed. Never felt full at all. Got about 4oz each session. I had been pump weaned for a few months and felt like a total newbie at it. Like I really had to pay attention to assembling parts and making sure I didn't leave anything home. I rented a mini-fridge for the hotel room ($20 flat fee) and transported it all home via air. As someone suggested on another post, I froze cow's milk as ice packs and then packed the cold milk around the frozen CM in a large ziplock and packed that all tightly in a small lunch cooler. At my connection stop I had a restaurant fill up a small gallon ziplock with ice and added that to my lunch bag. All told the BM was out of the fridge for about 9hrs. The BM stayed plenty cold but the CM did start to thaw and get a bit slushy, so I am glad that I didn't try to transport frozen BM.

I totally missed DD of course but she did REALLY well. She only asked DH for milk once (during a 4am waking) but didn't put up too much fuss about it. She did take a small amount of BM in a sippy each night before bed (she usually nurses to bed) but that was it. So, I still have a bit of freezer stash left over (I had thought DH would have to use it all up). She had no problem going to bed or staying asleep (she went from 2 night wakings to 1 night waking) and behaved fine towards me the next day. She and DH had fun and I enjoyed some mommy down time and of course those 3 nights that I got to STTN were heaven!!!!! I was nervous at first, but she definitely wasn't any worse for wear!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

I'm really glad things went well for you guys!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbirdie22 View Post
    Yup. I pumped. Just once each night before bed. Never felt full at all. Got about 4oz each session. I had been pump weaned for a few months and felt like a total newbie at it. Like I really had to pay attention to assembling parts and making sure I didn't leave anything home. I rented a mini-fridge for the hotel room ($20 flat fee) and transported it all home via air. As someone suggested on another post, I froze cow's milk as ice packs and then packed the cold milk around the frozen CM in a large ziplock and packed that all tightly in a small lunch cooler. At my connection stop I had a restaurant fill up a small gallon ziplock with ice and added that to my lunch bag. All told the BM was out of the fridge for about 9hrs. The BM stayed plenty cold but the CM did start to thaw and get a bit slushy, so I am glad that I didn't try to transport frozen BM.

I totally missed DD of course but she did REALLY well. She only asked DH for milk once (during a 4am waking) but didn't put up too much fuss about it. She did take a small amount of BM in a sippy each night before bed (she usually nurses to bed) but that was it. So, I still have a bit of freezer stash left over (I had thought DH would have to use it all up). She had no problem going to bed or staying asleep (she went from 2 night wakings to 1 night waking) and behaved fine towards me the next day. She and DH had fun and I enjoyed some mommy down time and of course those 3 nights that I got to STTN were heaven!!!!! I was nervous at first, but she definitely wasn't any worse for wear!
    SO glad it went so well!! Thanks for sharing all the details... stories like this give me hope that someday I'll be able to take a trip without worrying and LO won't wean.

Did you have any trouble taking the milk through security at the airport?

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

No, no problem with security at Denver. I pulled the cooler bag out of my carry on and put it in a plastic bin, but before it went through xray (which I've read is ok) I told the TSA guy that there was breast milk in the bag. He asked if I had ice packs and I said no (since I used frozen cow milk). Then the next TSA agent (the one reading the xray screen) pulled it out of the bin and asked if there was medication in the bag and was just about ready to open the bag when I said no, it is breastmilk. Well he practically threw the bag back at me like a hot potato. It was a young guy and clearly he didn't want anything to do with my breastmilk!!!

Oh, and I had my PISA (backpack style) packed in my carry on bag and didn't take it out of the suitcase at security and I half expected to have an issue when the motor appeared on the xray screen but it didn't even get a second glance. Guess they must be used to seeing pumps.

I've heard and read such horror stories about security that I was prepared for the worst and it really was a piece of cake!

I have another trip coming up in February (6 days!) that I know I won't be nearly as anxious about now that I have this trip out of the way and both DD and I did just fine.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbirdie22 View Post
    No, no problem with security at Denver. I pulled the cooler bag out of my carry on and put it in a plastic bin, but before it went through xray (which I've read is ok) I told the TSA guy that there was breast milk in the bag. He asked if I had ice packs and I said no (since I used frozen cow milk). Then the next TSA agent (the one reading the xray screen) pulled it out of the bin and asked if there was medication in the bag and was just about ready to open the bag when I said no, it is breastmilk. Well he practically threw the bag back at me like a hot potato. It was a young guy and clearly he didn't want anything to do with my breastmilk!!!

Oh, and I had my PISA (backpack style) packed in my carry on bag and didn't take it out of the suitcase at security and I half expected to have an issue when the motor appeared on the xray screen but it didn't even get a second glance. Guess they must be used to seeing pumps.

I've heard and read such horror stories about security that I was prepared for the worst and it really was a piece of cake!

I have another trip coming up in February (6 days!) that I know I won't be nearly as anxious about now that I have this trip out of the way and both DD and I did just fine.
    That's so funny about the TSA guy acting that way about your milk! I swear, people are so funny about breast milk... they act like it's a poisonous substance or something! Even my DH acts that way about my milk sometimes... I'm like, seriously, the baby drinks it, it can't be THAT bad.

Good to know you didn't have any issues with security... Like you, I would have thought they would look at the pump pretty close, but that's good you didn't have to drag it out of your carry-on. I know it's the rules and all, but I always HATE taking my laptop out of my carry-on. It's such a PITA.

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.