Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Chamomile Tea and Breastfeeding

Default Chamomile Tea and Breastfeeding

Hi, I hope this isn't redundant. I did a search and didn't see anything on this subject, so...

I've been having trouble sleeping (my newborn is 7 weeks old, so my circadian rhythm is all messed up) and so rather than take a sleep aid like Ambien, (if you take it, you have to pump and dump your first two batches a day!) I've been drinking Chamomile tea. I start about 6pm and drink anywhere between 3-6 cups (basically, I make a big batch and drink till I feel tired while I do my evening chores) and then go to sleep.

Does anyone have any idea how much, if any, of the sedative effect can be transferred onto my daughter through the breastmilk? Like any baby, she always gets drowsy on the breast or when I bottle feed her pumped breast milk. but of course now I'm paranoid that she's not legitimately tired, but rather, being knocked out from the chamomile I drank the night before.

Ugh, I'm so WORRIED about it. Does anyone have any guidance/experience/advice. I would be so grateful for some reassuring words that i'm not sedating my daughter! The chamomile has been so helpful in helping me relax that I hate to have to give it up, but I will if it's going to harm my little girl!!!

Thank you Ladies on the LLI board!

Default Re: Chamomile Tea and Breastfeeding

I found this on kellymom.com. Hope it helps!
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

Oh, that is very helpful! If there are any mom's out there who have also drunk Chamomile Tea while breastfeeding, I'd love to hear about it.

1. What brand of tea did you drink
    2. Did you notice if it made your baby drowsy?
    3. Did it help you relax?

Thank you so much Sister-moms!

When I recently had a cold with a sore throat I drank a mug or two of Celestial Seasonings chamomile tea each night. I didn't notice any increased sleepiness in DD - she was just as much of a pain to get to sleep as ever.

Not sure about the relaxing effects on me as I was just trying to soothe a sore throat... but then again hot tea has always seemed to relax me in the past.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Thanks Karen!

This is good info. Chamomile tea is great for sleep support. I never had any problems when my dd was a newborn, but now I sometimes have difficulty sleeping at night, especially if she wakes for some reason. Tea is also so nice at this time of year when it's so cold. I've found a nice organic brand (I try to do as much organic as possible while pregnant and breastfeeding).

Hi - i went through a period when i couldn't sleep either (overtired) and i drank Chamomile tea at night and it was fine. I also give my baby chamomile tea. Milupa make a special one for babies and my 9 month old loves it. It helps with digestion and constipation and is generally a calming drink. So, I wouldn't worry too much. I'm no expert however just sharing my experience.

Thanks for posting about the chamomile tea. I have a 7 wk year old and I have such problems falling asleep between feeds. I will try it tonight!

I've been drinking Chamomile recently because I ran out of my Nursing Tea. It was the only other tea I had on hand that didn't have caffeine in it. I haven't noticed any changes in LO, but I'm only having 1 - 2 a day.

I think it's okay - as long as it's in moderation, just like everything else in life.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and