Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Overstimulated?! or what's wrong...

Default Overstimulated?! or what's wrong...

My LO has now done this 3 times. I don't know if it's overstimulation or what else it could be. This is what happens...

We are either in a new environment or around a group of people. It comes to feeding time. She will cry uncontrollably and not nurse. It takes a long time, up to 30 minutes to calm her down (she hardly ever cries otherwise), and then she'll take a bottle. Sometimes we have to leave the place where we are. This happened at my mom's house, which is where she is daily. But it was over Thanksgiving, and there were multiple people there.

Any ideas on what this is or why it happens?

Any suggestions on how to 'fix' it?
    for 1 year ! We are fully weaned... . We kicked deadbeat dad to curb and rocking 2010 on our own! It is what it is!

May 16, 2008

Default Re: Overstimulated?! or what's wrong...

Sounds like overstimulation. Did you try sneaking off to a quiet room and closing the door?

Yes, I tried each time going to a quiet place and nurse laying down, sitting up, rocking, etc. nothing will work. And then on top of it, the rest of the night (during the time when she should be sleeping), she'll get up every hour or two crying...which again, she doesn't cry often. She may whine and fuss when she is hungry or tired, but not cry real tears, etc.

Any other thoughts? I don't want to seclude ourselves from others, but having to deal with that is awful, i hate seeing her go through it.
    for 1 year ! We are fully weaned... . We kicked deadbeat dad to curb and rocking 2010 on our own! It is what it is!

May 16, 2008

I don't know if it would be overstimulation at that age?

Is she maybe getting distracted by other things and not nursing as soon as she would at home? Thus leading to over-hungry and fussy baby? Have you tried offering sooner than she cues in a quiet room away from the action?

This happens with DD sometimes and I think she gets so caught up in checking everything out that she "forgets" to cue, and then she has trouble settling.

JM2C

Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I can try that the next time...she was normally cueing me about the time that she would eat though, so not sure. Anything is worth a shot.

May 16, 2008