Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weaning a night-nurser @ 13.5 mos. so i can get my period - PLEASE HELP!!

Default weaning a night-nurser @ 13.5 mos. so i can get my period - PLEASE HELP!!

Hi,
    I have loved nursing my daughter for the past 13.5 months, but I haven't gotten my period back yet & would like to get pregnant again. (I know it's possible to get pregnant without having a period, but I was just at my OBGYN and she said it's not likely.)

I am a SAHM & typically nurse my daughter now just before her morning nap & then again till she goes to sleep at night. When she's alone with me she requires my breast & presence to fall asleep at nap & night, though she can easily go to sleep without her nursing at nap-time when she's with other people. Recently at nap-time, once she's nursed herself to sleep, I have been attempting to transfer her from the Boppy to her crib with success about 50% of the time. We also co-sleep & she nurses lots & lots & lots (about 6-8 times) throughout the night. Maybe this is the time to transition her to her crib, which is inches from our bed?? But I wonder if this could be tricky as we live in a 1 bedroom apt. I think it will be key to cut the night-nursing out in order for me to get my period so we can make a sibling for our favorite nurser!

I don't think my husband nor I have it in us to do "Cry It Out". And I'm thinking it may best for my husband to be the one to put our daughter to sleep at night and for me to sleep on the couch for some time. I also read about cutting up garlic & letting it steep in olive oil & then putting the garlic-y oil on your nipples. What I read said this makes it easier for the child since she is the ones who decides your nipple tastes bad & then rejects it on her own. Any one try this?? Is this crazy??

Help please!

THANKS so much!!!

Default Re: weaning a night-nurser @ 13.5 mos. so i can get my period - PLEASE HELP!!

The method outlined here is one many of us on these boards have used, with success. Good luck

(never heard of the garlic thing - not to say it doesn't/woulnd't work *I* personally wouldn't wanna try it )
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Default Re: weaning a night-nurser @ 13.5 mos. so i can get my period - PLEASE HELP!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post

The method outlined here is one many of us on these boards have used, with success. Good luck
    I've been working with my lo who will be 16 months in a couple of days with this method. At first I tried having my husband get up with her in the night, but it just didn't quite work out. I ended up getting up with her and working through this method. I now have her going back to sleep w/o milkies in the night. Though we still have some challenges sleeping the entire night, she knows she's not going to get milkies because they're sleeping. Read the method, go over it with your husband and if you look on the forum under the section for sleep or lack of it you'll see a lot of mama's talking about using this method. Good luck. It is a lot of work but worth it.
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jtandaj View Post
    and if you look on the forum under the section for sleep or lack of it you'll see a lot of mama's talking about using this method. Good luck. It is a lot of work but worth it.
    I've never been able to find that forum. Where´s it at?

The title it's under is "Parenting Beyond Breastfeeding" The catagory is sleep or lack of it (It's on this forum just a few catagories below this posting)
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

Dr Jays method worked for us, and its flexible to where you can modify it to fit your needs.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

It looks like you've already received some great advice on this from the other posters. My daughter is 13.5 months too and I just weaned her completely last week. I was down to nursing her just before bed and during the night if she woke up (which only happens about 1-2x per week at this point). I did not co-sleep however, so my situation may be a bit different. My daughter actually seemed ready to wean as well. She was starting to show less and less interest in nursing other than the middle of the night. So I finally stopped nursing that last feeding of the night and had my husband go in and comfort her when she woke up in the middle of the night. I was terrified thinking it would be a huge disaster and we would have to let her CIO which would have been heartbreaking for all of us. He just went in there and gave her a little milk from a sippy cup and she went right back to sleep! She just woke up last night again and I went and gave her the sippy cup and she went right back to sleep again. Honestly, I was shocked that it was so easy.

Anyway, my suggestion is to possibly try giving her a little milk in the sippy and see if that works at all. As far as moving her into her own crib, that is something that you will have to decide for yourself. I don't know much about that transition, since I never did it, but I can only imagine that it is a difficult decision. Good luck and I hope everything goes well for you.

THANKS to everyone for all the replies and support... I really appreciate it!
    My husband and I read Dr. Gordon's method & are going to make a go of it this week.
    Thanks again!