Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do they still root?

Default Do they still root?

It used to be so easy to tell when my bb was hungry. He would make sucking noises or turn his head into whatever he was near. He's almost 5 months now (still EBF) and he doesn't seem to do these things anymore and I can't tell when he is hungry. This is extra trying since he's so uninterested in nursing these days. So I've been watching the clock to make sure I always offer it about 2.5 hours or 3 hours after the last feed (or should I say wrestling match). Sometimes he'll take it, sometimes he won't. How do I tell if he's hungry? If I wait until he cries, he might also be crying for sleep. If I let him just do his minimal nursing during the day then I'm worried it will contribute to his new horribly inconvenient sleep/nurse pattern he's developed at night.

Default Re: Do they still root?

This period of a los life can be very troubling for mom!!! They are just getting soooo interested in their surrounding, which is much more fun than mom and nursing! The best I can tell you is to do what you are doing--offer him to nurse every couple of hours, if you can, in a dark, quiet environment. If he is fussing, offer to nurse, even if he may be tired. I found that I nursed more frequently but not for as long during this period, and still, to this day. Try a nursing necklace--get one now rather than later, like I did, and its already too late for that to be easy either.

It will get better, although I am not sure when. Haylee goes through periods where she will nurse great and then for a week not want to nurse at all. She is still eating way better at night than during the day, but experts assure me that will pass too!!!

Anyway..it def. becomes more difficult to tell when hunger has set in. Trust your instincts!!

(((HUGS)))

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Thank you so much for the quick reply. Do you know any places on line to find good nursing necklaces? And do the really keep him eating or can they just give him one more thing to distract him from the task at hand?

http://www.lalecheleague.org/vbullet...read.php?t=770

This is from another post on this forum. HTH

I just bought a nursing necklace from Lori (posted in above post) and love it. She made it to match our maya wrap and dd loves it. She is a little old to start and gets a tad distracted by it now but we are still working on it. When it works, it really works--I mean she nurses way longer than usual! You can read what we all wrote in the Distracted baby thread or the My social butterfly thread. There is some great discussion that DJs mom and paint-the-moon had about the use of these necklaces early on.

Good luck!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes