Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Been stressed out low milk supply

Default Help! Been stressed out low milk supply

Hi.

I've been stressed out. Noticed that my milk supply has gone down suddenly. Yesterday I was fine, was able to pump and feed my 7 week old baby.

What should I do?

Default Re: Help! Been stressed out low milk supply

How much and how often do you pump?
    Do you BF also? When did you start pumping?
    I would be more able to help you if you'd give more details.
    But one thing is for sure: stop stressing yourself out! If you pumped enough yesterday, you'll pump enough tomorrow, maybe today's just a bad day: didn't sleep, didn't eat well... Stress is #1 reason for decreased milk supply.
    Try eating oatmeal for breakfast, help a lot of women, drink plenty of water...
    Nurse/pump more often.
    Also, there is a special way to pump: massage your breasts before you start, put something warm (like a bottle with warm water, that's what I do:-) on your breasts, close your eyes and take a deep breath before starting, relax, think of your LO, or maybe a beach .

You will be fine!!!
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Quit stressing pronto! Make sure you are getting plenty of fluids and eating well. EAting a bowl of oatmeal daily does wonders for my supply and lots of ladies around here will agree.

Are you exclusivly pumping?

If so, remember that the amount of milk you are pumping is not a good indication of how much your baby is getting.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I was pumping about 5 times a day when I am home. I am nursing full time. Been trying to build up my supply for when I return to work.

I am stressed out and didn't sleep the day before yesterday. I slept with LO last night and nursed him every 2 hours. This morning I pumped 5 ounces total after nursing. I thought my supply would be okay so I didn't pump during the day. I just pumped 3 ounces and nursed LO. He is crying because my let down is not as strong as before. i didn't realized that I pumped closed to his feeding time.

I am on a trip with my LO. I am worried that my supply won't come back. I am trying to relax and it's working a bit. My breast feels empty most of the day. I know I shouldn't worry but what else can I do to help my supply?

All you can do at the time is relax. I'm telling you this cause I was exactly the same. I was paranoid. But then my DH and my mom got mad at me and started yelling at me for being stressed, like they said (I knew it, but at the moment was too busy stressing to think about it:-), stress helps to decrease the supply AND your baby feels you, so the baby's stressed too. Also, they kept telling me that its 21 sentury and formula is easily available (ene thouhg none of us wanted the baby to take formula), and it made me mad at first, but then helped me to relax, after all, you know your LO won't starve.

My breasts felt empty since my LO was 3-4 weeks! And they still do! And I sometimes don't even feel anything "going on" inside of them, you know what I mean, like milk coming...I almost never feel full, unless I don't nurse and don't pump for 5-6 hours in a row! BUT... I've returned to work a month ago, my LO is 3 months and 9days and still exclusively BF!
    You have a 7 weeks old baby, you nursing constantly, you can't pump as much as you want, out bodies are smart, they produce enouhg milk to feed the baby! Maybe a little more than that! So relax, it's normal! Once you'll be able to pump every day the amount your LO needs for the day, you're fine, believe me! I started freezing milk 2-3 weeks before returning to work, my goal was 4oz in 24 hours (sometimes I couldn't even do that!), the best time is in the morning, after you nurse...Also, I tried pumping after each time I nursed, like RIGHT after, 15-20 min max, to make sure I have enough when my LO is hungry. It also helps with the supply!

Don't worry, you're doing great!!! Even now, I have days when I can barely squeeze 1 oz out of myself for half day! Its sad, but that's the way it works for me and it does work! As long as your baby is BF! I never have goals like 3months, 6 months...For me its more like 3mo, 3.5mo, 4mo...even weekly!
    But stress won't help.

Once again, you're doing great! Remeber, your LO is 7 weeks old, you don't have a supply for the demands of 3 months old yet, but you'll be there, promise

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Thanks everyone.

I get frustrated when I am BF and he just cries. It's feels like he is not getting the stream he wants. He gets frustrated and starts crying.

I don't want to supplement at all at this point. I am afraid he won't take the breast anymore after my supply comes back.

I am starting to pump right after every feeding. I am trying to relax and hopefully my supply will come back quickly.

If you were able to pump 3oz, you have enough for 7-week-old! Maybe the reason he cries is not the amount or stream? Read some about reflux, I don't know anything about it, but heard that babies cry when/after they eat.

Nursing often helps to increase the supply (but how can you nurse more often if he cries, it's like a circle, but you'll break through!)

I had a problem with my LO around the same time: she's cry non-stop when I put her to breat. Someone here, at the forum, told me that maybe she's tired. I tried to rock her to sleep when she did that, she'd nap for 10-15min and than would nurse just fine.

Just some ideas for you...Maybe they'll help.
    You're doing great, mommy, try not to stress out and rest (LOL, if that would be easy)

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Pumping anywhere from 3 to 5 ounces sounds really good to me.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Thanks everyone for the reassurance.

I guess I am the most impatient person in the world. I know that it will take some time but I'm stressing to stress out about my supply won't pick up in time. Does anyone have an idea on when or time frame milk supply will come back? (I know no one really knows but I being paranoid.) I pumped for 15 minutes after nursing even if there is nothing coming out.

My 7 week old LO does have some refluxes but it's managable. Thanks for the tips. I will try it next time I nurse my little one.

Thanks again.