Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ear infection??!

Unhappy Ear infection??!

hello ladies. I had a question, how can u tell in a baby that is a lil over 3 months, if he has an ear infection?

My DS woke up in a very bad mood today , which is unbecoming of him, he is usually all smiles and coos. I was able to put him back to sleep, only to have him wake up madder then this morning . He ws crying quite forcefully, and i am wondering if he has an ear infection or something, and i wanted to be sure it's not just crankyness before we go to the docotr's office (they take FOREVER there to see someone) PLZ any info about what to look for would help a lot, i'll be online watching for updates. TYVM

Default Re: Ear infection??!

Does he have a fever? I believe that is one of the most crucial signs of illness. Does he have any other symptoms that would warrant you thinking he is sick?

No fever , only other thing i can think of is that he crys more when i lay him dow flat, i got him to sleep by propping him up on a pillow just now. but other then that, nothing else to make me think he is sick

When my DS had an ear infection at age 7 months, he was fussy all night with no fever, and when I tried to lay him down, he screamed in obvious and severe pain.

A 3mo isn't going to do the telltale tugging at his ear, because he's not coordinated enough yet to get his hand to his ear on purpose.

Has he had a cold or other cause of congestion recently? This was the root cause in our case -- DS had his first serious cold with a LOT of congestion, and I didn't treat the congestion, and it led to the ear infection.

--Rebecca

I wouldn't think he has an ear infection then, but I can understand your frustration. I too have a generally happy baby and worry when she is having a bad day. There are many reasons why he may be crying, he could be going through a growth spurt, have gas due to something you ate, reflux pain or just having a cranky day. I would say pay close attention to him today and note anything else that may be out of the ordinary. Write down when he cries and what has been going on, that way if you need to call the doctor you have everything you need to explain the situation. Also, check back in here and let us know how things are going. Good luck, and don't worry too much, babies cry to let us know when something is bothering them, but it doesn't always have to be something terrible.

Ty for the posts, That Dr sears helped me. Now i think it might be an ear infection after all. He has been a lil congested in the mornings for about 2 days now and his lil boogie have turned green for one and he doesn't want to lay flat, he also wakes up from his short short naps crying hysterically, no fever tho, still not 100% it's ear infection, but i am going to take him anywa .... i hate when my babies get an ear infection, i had a really bad one one time and if they make me tear up, i can imagine what the lo's go thru. Guess it's off to the doc. Ty again everyone