Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: only one letdown while nursing?

Default only one letdown while nursing?

I notice when I'm nursing my 4 month old DD that there's only one letdown per side (she eats on both each time). I can tell because there's only one spurt of long swallows. I try to keep her on the breast for longer to see if we get another letdown, but she always pops off. She seems satisfied afterwards - she eats every 2-2 1/2 hours when we're together (other than once at night).

I started noticing this because I usually get 2 letdowns when pumping (I work 4 days a week). She's an impatient baby to begin with - could she be missing the second letdown?

I worry about it too because no matter how often we nurse (sometimes 8x/day or more) on the 3 days we're together it doesn't do anything to increase my supply. I thought nursing more often would allow me to pump more during the week, but no such luck.
    Mama to Beatrice Maxine born 8-3-08
    , ,

Default Re: only one letdown while nursing?

I am in the same boat: I work (5 days a week) and pump, but BFing rest of the time, hoping that every weekend will bring my supply up...Nope, no luck:-(
    I didn't count how many letdowns we go throuhg with each nursing and each breast (sometimes she needs 2, sometimes she's ok with one only), but I told myself if she' happy, alert, content, sleeps well (counted dipers too:-), so she gets enough.
    I would want my supply to go up thouhg, I think once they'll need more, they'll let our bodies know and we'll produce more, that was the case with few of my friends and that's what my LLLI consultant have told me. I can only hope.
    My LO (she's 3mo) also eats every 2-2.5 hours and i thouhgt its too often for her age, i see i was wrong! I was counting on that long thanksgiving weekend to increase the supply (last week she was with my mom and ate 3-3.5oz each time), but all of a sudden she ate even less than she usually does. So IDK... No much help from me here, right? Well, maybe someone knows more? I'd love to know...
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Remember,even if you're not pumping more when you are at work, your supply is probably fine. You're baby is way more efficient at getting milk from your brests than your pump is.

I am able to pump more at work when I eat a bowl of oatmeal daily. Have you tried this?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I've tried oatmeal, fenugreek (bad side effects and no difference), adding pumping sessions, pumping for 5-10 minutes after the milk stops, all sorts of stuff. I almost always pump the same amount at work - between 8 & 9 oz total.

I'm confident my babe is getting enough milk (maybe on the low side but enough), but I'd like to produce a little more so I could save some (my stash is running low). I just can't figure out why no matter what I do it seems to have no effect on my output during the day.

Is it worth renting a hospital grade pump for a month to see if this helps? I have an Ameda PY which seems fine but I did get it used from a friend. I have all new parts but I swear they never fit together just right. I've also read that the PY's suction isn't as good.
    Last edited by @llli*beamaxmama; December 2nd, 2008 at 10:34 AM.
    , ,

I was reading your reply and wasn't sure who wwrote it: you or me
    I am in the same situation EXACTLY. I've tried More Milk Plus (it also contains fenugreek) with pretty bad side effects and no results. Oatmeal helps me a little, at least to produce just enough. I pump about the same amount as you do (and my LO is 3 months!!!) and nothing, NOTHING seems to help me increase it! It's so frustrating, I even tell myself that not every women is lucky to have plenty and having just enough is aldo a blessing and my LO is already (not just, but already) 3 months and 1 week and so far has been BF exclusively, so what more do i want...

If you will fond that magical solution, please, let me know, ok?
    So far, we're doing a great job!

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Have you ladies tried pumping after you nurse? This will definetly help increase your supply.

I've heard only good things about the Ameda pump.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*confused View Post
    I was reading your reply and wasn't sure who wwrote it: you or me
    I am in the same situation EXACTLY. I've tried More Milk Plus (it also contains fenugreek) with pretty bad side effects and no results. Oatmeal helps me a little, at least to produce just enough. I pump about the same amount as you do (and my LO is 3 months!!!) and nothing, NOTHING seems to help me increase it! It's so frustrating, I even tell myself that not every women is lucky to have plenty and having just enough is aldo a blessing and my LO is already (not just, but already) 3 months and 1 week and so far has been BF exclusively, so what more do i want...

If you will fond that magical solution, please, let me know, ok?
    So far, we're doing a great job!
    It's nice to know I'm not alone, but I wish you didn't have this issue! I will definitely let you know if anything works as long as you do the same.

Thanks for the suggestion about pumping after I nurse, I haven't tried this yet but only because it's such a hassle. I will try it this evening. How long should I pump each time? Do I pump even if nothing comes out?
    , ,

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beamaxmama View Post
    It's nice to know I'm not alone, but I wish you didn't have this issue! I will definitely let you know if anything works as long as you do the same.

Thanks for the suggestion about pumping after I nurse, I haven't tried this yet but only because it's such a hassle. I will try it this evening. How long should I pump each time? Do I pump even if nothing comes out?
    I understand the hassle.

I would pump for about 15 minutes. Don't expect much output though. This should most definetly help your supply.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

My LO is 4 months old and I just started pumping 2 times at work. I just started back this week and I get 10-12 ounces total. I use the ameda PY and I love it. I have found though that I get more when I do not have the settings turned all the way up. I turn the cycle one up all the way but the suction I turn only about alittle over half way. You may try adjusting yours alittle.

I also was pumping in the morning and at night before I went back to work so I have alot frozen just in case.

Yeah...good for you. There is no way I can squeeze 10-12oz out of myself, no matter what I do. I do have some frozen milk (approximately 2 week supply) that I prepared before returning to work. But every day for me is a struggle. Some days I actually do bring home 10-11oz, but those days are not very common, unfortunately, usually its about 9oz, but the baby is growing and will need more eventually. In order for my body to adjust to her needs I'd have to nurse for few days in a raw (was planning to do that on Thanksgiving, but she ate pretty bad those days, what a joke, hah?).
    But, hey, she's 3mo and 9 days and so far BF exclusively, so I'd doing well and that's why I'm trying to encourage Mom of Beatrice (oh what a beautiful name:-) to stay calm and tell her we'll make it ! WE're doing all we can for our presious LOs!

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work