Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sore nipples

Default sore nipples

I dont know hows its happened my poor nipples especially the right one is agony I havent had this problem since starting bf Im trying the old nipple creams but nothing helps any tips ladies as Im in so much pain while feeding and I think bubs is starting to realise it

Default Re: sore nipples

How old is your LO? After nursing, do your nipples look flattened at the tips like your LO has a shallow latch and is pinching them? Or have you been nursing comfortably for a while now and there seems to be no apparent reason? Could be thrush if so. A little more info will make it easier to help.

ETA: Here's a great site where you might find some help also.
    Last edited by @llli*mama.p; December 2nd, 2008 at 03:34 AM.

I thought it might be the latch they right one looks kind of pointed on one side Ive tried relatching but it hasnt helped my lo is 3 months its just odd shed start to latch on wrong after all this time the pain does get worse as nursing goes on

It sounds like it's probably a lazy latch then. She's latching too shallow. I know it's a pain, but keep trying at relatching her and making sure her mouth is open real wide first. Do you have a lot of milk? (Does she click while nursing, or act as though it's overwhelming?) If so, she may be doing it to help regulate the flow. You can try leaning back while nursing to see if that helps her. Hang in there!

youve got it in one she does all those things ill try with my next feed see how it goes and get back to you thanks so much for your help i did have a bt of a screamy gulpy feed last so i just hope this one is better

Maybe you could try and contact your local LLL leader or a board certified lactation consultant. You will want to get the latch corrected as soon as possible or it may cause you more problems.

Hang in there mamma

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

right so I tried the latch thingy and omg with my oald it caused so much screaming, Im going to give block feeding a go to help with that but my hubby just tried to give her a ebm bottle and no way she gagged on that do ya think its because she hardly ever has bottles now???( which is going to be a problem because shes going to my mil for a couple of hours tomoz so weve got out our tommee tippe back to nature bottle because its the closest thing to a nipple. its so sad all we both want is lovley nice calm hassle free nursing I wont however be giving up anytime soon I love breast feeding and no way want to go to formula. just need to get the latch right!!!!! rah