Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I think we're finally on the road...

Default I think we're finally on the road...

I'm sure it will be a while before we're actually weaned, but I'm starting to see the signs. I can remember just a few months ago that I saw no signs of slowing down. Now is different. Unfortunately, we had to force the issue a little bit with night weaning, because none of us, DS included, were getting enough sleep. A couple weeks ago, we got DH to take him to his bed instead of me nursing him to sleep on the couch or on our bed. It was just getting to be too much - it was taking the entire evening to get him to sleep. He wasn't happy with the new routine at first, but it wasn't long before he settled into bed on his own happily (dad reads him a couple stories then sings to him as he goes to sleep).

But what's really striking is that he's asking less, and less insistently. If I say "no, not right now, maybe in a few minutes", he'll go back to playing, and often forget to ask again a few minutes later. Tonight really struck home - he asked in the car on the way home from daycare, and I said "when we get home you can nurse, we can't nurse in the car". By the time we got home, he'd lost interest, and he didn't ask all evening. So now he's upstairs getting put to bed by daddy, and no tears that he didn't nurse tonight.

Which means that he only nursed once today (his 6am early morning nurse).

Together with me being pregnant, so the milk supply going to be decreasing very soon, I think we're finally on that road. Hard to believe....

Default Re: I think we're finally on the road...

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thanks Mollyb! I thought this was going to end up being one of those lonely posts that no-one responds to.

it is bittersweet isn't it? My DD is starting to wean herself. I'm sad, but happy to see how much she is growing, all at the same time.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

This was me 3 months ago . try and treasure everytime you nurse him now and take a picture if you can. I wish I had thought to do this but I had no idea that he would just stop asking one day.
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09