Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP!!! Pain!!!!

Default HELP!!! Pain!!!!

After 1 year of nursing we started to cut out the day feedings when I return to work. I got milk bubbles, plugged ducts, sometimes some scabby skin on the nipple. Dr put me on Abx for mastitis with redness and pain, recurring blocks. Now it seems to be draining but I have UNBEARABLE PAIN starting just after she nurses, increasing with time. Pain is deep, stabbing. Honestly feel like taking a knife and cutting my breast off would feel better. Originally lasting 2-3 hours after nursing and now does not go away. Saw Dr. today but can't get an u/s for 4 days. It hurts so much I can't go on like this! When pain wears off it is fine until she nurses again. I seriously canmot continue to function with this pain. Can I stop feeding on that side? The other side is fine. I have no fever, tired but maybe just from pain. Feel like I can't think straight b/c of so much pain. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by @llli*GoGo; December 1st, 2008 at 03:04 PM.

Default Re: HELP!!! Pain!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*GoGo View Post
    After 1 year of nursing we started to cut out the day feedings when I return to work. I got milk bubbles, plugged ducts, sometimes some scabby skin on the nipple. Dr put me on Abx for mastitis with redness and pain, recurring blocks. Now it seems to be draining but I have UNBEARABLE PAIN starting just after she nurses, increasing with time. Pain is deep, stabbing. Honestly feel like taking a knife and cutting my breast off would feel better. Originally lasting 2-3 hours after nursing and now does not go away. Saw Dr. today but can't get an u/s for 4 days. It hurts so much I can't go on like this! When pain wears off it is fine until she nurses again. I seriously canmot continue to function with this pain. Can I stop feeding on that side? The other side is fine. I have no fever, tired but maybe just from pain. Feel like I can't think straight b/c of so much pain. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It unfortunately could be a few things causing the pain. Take a look at this link http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-bab...les-older.html. I hope it provides some answers and help. Keep up the good work--I can truly say I have been there before and it does get better
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

Thanks, that site is helpful. Seems more like thrush in the ducts to me. I said that to my Dr. but he said not likely. I do still have 2 milk blisters that I am soaking and trying to dislodge. Taking some Tylenol now which is helping some with the pain. Also limiting nursing time on that side seems to have helped a bit (nutritive sucking only, no lingering which she used to do). Thanks!

It could also be vasospasm. Especially if you are only having the pain on the side of feeding. Vasospasm feels exactly like thrush.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?