Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nursing to sleep a bad habit?

Default Re: Nursing to sleep a bad habit?

I nurse to sleep too, although sometimes, if she looks like she's not going to fall asleep, but she's tired, I can put her in her cot awake. Generally, I give her twenty minutes. If she's not asleep by that time I fetch her down to try again (before if she starts crying or is getting what I think is upset). I only usually have to do that once and she falls asleep the second time. It works for us, and she sleeps a good 12 hours (she's 23 weeks and 22 lbs) BUT I have to nurse her in our bed toget her down for a nap.
    Proud mummy to Lillypig, in love with my best friend and partner, Batfink
    One year done, and still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elelou View Post
    I do exactly the same with my 4 month old DD and for daytime naps she's usually in the swing too. I have had your concerns but as a PP said...if it ain't broke don't fix it. My DD sleeps a good 8-10 hr in her cot at night so I'm not so concerned that she takes her naps in the swing in the day. I think that I'd be more concerned if she didn't sleep long at night. Oh and I love the long bedtime routine. It helps me destress at the end of the day.
    I'm glad to know that you use the swing too. If I put her in her bed she just wakes up soooo quickly. I have a 2 year old also, so any nap I can get out of either one of them wherever works for me. Like a pp said, I'm sure she'll outgrow it.

I love the long bedtime routine too. I work in the evenings for a few hours and it really helps me unwind when I come home from work.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I nurse my Almost 3year old up and down from his naps on the days we are together and always have. I just start us both out in a lying down position and then it's not hard at all to up and walk away from him after he falls asleep. My son goes to day care 2-3 days a week and has since he was 14month old. He lays down there and always has with no bottle and no help and goes to sleep on his own. We stil cosleep and if he falls asleep at the breast in 15 or 20 minutes I allow it. however if he is still awake at that point, I give him a drink of his sippy cup and he has to roll over and fall asleep on his own. And he does and he can.

Ask yourself where your thoughts about it being a "bad habit" are coming from? are they coming from within or from the scripted dialogue that you have with outsiders about your childs sleep pattern. From what I understand Where I am right now is a place some people are horrified of "ending up". Nursing someone who can walk and talk and sleeping with a child until he is obviously almost a grown up.
    But it works for our family. I have no need to please my neighbors or my relatives. My son can fall asleep on his own. But why should he HAVE TO if I am there and able to meet that need when we are together? I can't find a good reason. So I continue to meet it.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    I nurse my Almost 3year old up and down from his naps on the days we are together and always have. I just start us both out in a lying down position and then it's not hard at all to up and walk away from him after he falls asleep. My son goes to day care 2-3 days a week and has since he was 14month old. He lays down there and always has with no bottle and no help and goes to sleep on his own. We stil cosleep and if he falls asleep at the breast in 15 or 20 minutes I allow it. however if he is still awake at that point, I give him a drink of his sippy cup and he has to roll over and fall asleep on his own. And he does and he can.

Ask yourself where your thoughts about it being a "bad habit" are coming from? are they coming from within or from the scripted dialogue that you have with outsiders about your childs sleep pattern. From what I understand Where I am right now is a place some people are horrified of "ending up". Nursing someone who can walk and talk and sleeping with a child until he is obviously almost a grown up.
    But it works for our family. I have no need to please my neighbors or my relatives. My son can fall asleep on his own. But why should he HAVE TO if I am there and able to meet that need when we are together? I can't find a good reason. So I continue to meet it.
    Good for you!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Ask yourself where your thoughts about it being a "bad habit" are coming from? are they coming from within or from the scripted dialogue that you have with outsiders about your childs sleep pattern.
    It's taken me a while to realise this....I don't understand why books are full of getting the baby into a routine...what for? If I'm happy and she's happy with the way we do things, that's how it's going to be. OK so I don't know exactly when she's going to have a nap in the day but she's so chilled with the way we do things that I don't really have to worry about that. I don't have a problem with her getting overtired or not sleeping at night. ..... sorry that turned into a rant.

Good for you djs mom!
    Cloth diaper using mummy to Eleanor Louise (born 4th Aug 2008)
    Expecting #2 on my birthday 15th March 2011.

It's taken me a while to realise this....I don't understand why books are full of getting the baby into a routine...what for? If I'm happy and she's happy with the way we do things, that's how it's going to be. OK so I don't know exactly when she's going to have a nap in the day but she's so chilled with the way we do things that I don't really have to worry about that. I don't have a problem with her getting overtired or not sleeping at night. ..... sorry that turned into a rant.

Good for you djs mom!
    So true!

BTW, dd1 is Elinor Grace...eleanor or elinor is such a beautiful name.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

I wanted to call her Eleanor Grace but we agreed on Eleanor Louise.
    Cloth diaper using mummy to Eleanor Louise (born 4th Aug 2008)
    Expecting #2 on my birthday 15th March 2011.

I wanted to call her Eleanor Grace but we agreed on Eleanor Louise.

Louise is nice too.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

I am with the others and say do what works for you. My daughter was a terrible napper for the longest time. She never slept more than 20 minutes until she was about 7 months old. She rarely fell asleep nursing (I don't know why), but I definitely would have used that if it worked.

Same thing goes for the swing too. My daughter slept in her car seat every night until she was 2.5 months old. It was the only place she would sleep. She refused her crib and co-sleeping (she'd scream her head off), but was happy as a clam in the car seat. I remember being so worried that she would never learn to sleep anywhere else and that I was going to have to send her off to college with an adult sized car seat to sleep in, lol! However, she did eventually transition into her crib and it really wasn't that big of a deal when she was ready to do it. They let you know when they're ready to move onto the next thing. Just try to remember that you won't have to show up to the college dorm to nurse them to sleep nor send them off with the adult sized swing for sleeping. They will eventually wean from both of these things . Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    Good for you!

Good for you djs mom!

Way too lazy for formula