Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nursing to sleep a bad habit?

Default Re: Nursing to sleep a bad habit?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elelou View Post
    It's taken me a while to realise this....I don't understand why books are full of getting the baby into a routine...what for? If I'm happy and she's happy with the way we do things, that's how it's going to be. OK so I don't know exactly when she's going to have a nap in the day but she's so chilled with the way we do things that I don't really have to worry about that. I don't have a problem with her getting overtired or not sleeping at night. ..... sorry that turned into a rant.

Good for you djs mom!

I don't get the obsession over nap and sleep "training". I nurse my DD up and down from naps and we co-sleep and i have stopped justifying it to anyone who asks/criticizes. I don't care what other people think anymore, they are not in this family, so they don't get a vote.

And Shelly, you absolutely do rock Mama! I hope to be where you are in 2.5 yes if that's what DD wants.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elelou View Post
    I do exactly the same with my 4 month old DD and for daytime naps she's usually in the swing too. I have had your concerns but as a PP said...if it ain't broke don't fix it. My DD sleeps a good 8-10 hr in her cot at night so I'm not so concerned that she takes her naps in the swing in the day. I think that I'd be more concerned if she didn't sleep long at night. Oh and I love the long bedtime routine. It helps me destress at the end of the day.

So I've been nursing to sleep for both night and naps since the beginning and she's now 10 months old (like I mentioned in my post to this thread). I agree if it ain't broke don't fix it but what if it's not working for you. Most of you mention about LOs sleeping well through the night but mine still wakes up every 2 hrs. which means I only get 1 hr - 1.5 hrs. of sleep at a time and I AM POOPED! I've been doing this for so long, she slept well when she was 3 months old (4-6 hr stretches) but changed at 5 months and we've been every 2 hrs. ever since. My DH tries to help by going in there but she only wants me and only wants the boob (I can't even rock her or comfort her any other way) which means she has definitely built an association as well as a dependence on it. I am so tired that I literally fall asleep in the glider for about an hr. of that sleep stretch with her in my arms every time she wakes up. Co-sleeping makes the problem worse.

I really need help!

How do I fix this?
    First time mom of Cristiana Veronika

Born on 1/26/08 (@ 36 wks) weighing 5 lbs 14 oz

and

+ = happy baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sciencemom View Post
    So I've been nursing to sleep for both night and naps since the beginning and she's now 10 months old (like I mentioned in my post to this thread). I agree if it ain't broke don't fix it but what if it's not working for you. Most of you mention about LOs sleeping well through the night but mine still wakes up every 2 hrs. which means I only get 1 hr - 1.5 hrs. of sleep at a time and I AM POOPED! I've been doing this for so long, she slept well when she was 3 months old (4-6 hr stretches) but changed at 5 months and we've been every 2 hrs. ever since.
    My son started waking up a lot at night too, that was when we decided something had to change.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sciencemom View Post
    My DH tries to help by going in there but she only wants me and only wants the boob (I can't even rock her or comfort her any other way) which means she has definitely built an association as well as a dependence on it. I am so tired that I literally fall asleep in the glider for about an hr. of that sleep stretch with her in my arms every time she wakes up. Co-sleeping makes the problem worse.
    I feel your pain, sleeping in a glider gets old in my opinion. I was doing it every night for a while. And I know a lot of the moms here love co-sleeping, but I always got less sleep that way.

My son is now 7 months old. Just about 4 weeks ago, we started letting him put himself to sleep and he's doing great. I feed him a little, give him a bath, and feed him until he has his fill so he's sleepy, then I lay him in his crib and he'll usually just go to sleep. I used to feed him just after his bath, but he'd be too sleepy to eat much. If he doesn't go to sleep and starts crying, I just go back in and snuggle him, squeeze him, pat him, and otherwise comfort him until he stops crying. Again, sometimes he goes right to sleep, sometimes he doesn't, but he's getting better at it. (At first my husband had to do this, because he just wanted to nurse with me, but now I can do it too)

I should mention that we tried this same thing at 3 months and it SO did not work. We tried again at 4 months, same result. He would scream till he was red in the face and I did not like that at all - it didn't feel right. Now, he just fusses a little. The first night was not that easy, we had to keep going back in several times, but it got easier each time.

The reason I went through all of that is because I think that this was the turning point for us. Now if he wakes up at night, he just goes back to sleep.

Also, if your baby really is hungry, this won't work. You know your baby best. I was pretty sure that when my son was waking up every 2-3 hours at night, that he was not hungry. I could tell he just wanted to nurse back to sleep.

Hope this helps

My lo is 13 weeks also and has to nurse to fall asleep. I just do whatever it takes to get her to sleep so I really don't see a problem with it.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

It all goes back to "do what works for you". I nursed my son to sleep until he was almost 2 and months later, I still lay down with him at night.
    It's never been a problem for us- he will go to sleep for DH or another family member ( just found this out when we had DS2 on thanksgiving and he went right to sleep for my sister).

If the routine is getting to be long, you can try to cut back the amount of time you nurse at night by a couple of minutes each night. We did that probably around a year old- I wasn't going to lay with him for 45 minutes anymore, so I eventually cut it down to 10 minutes. And I was also less likely to fall asleep with him when it was less time.
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

Everyone told me it was a bad habit to fall into ... but it was and is the only way we all can get sleep quickly and easily. We co-sleep too. Even my husband comments now how he didn't ever think we would be like this but treasures it now and tells all his friends how he has changed his thinking. For a while I tried to break the habit and he told me not to ... no sense stressing everyone out and that it would eventually be outgrown. Well sure enough we are on baby number two and following the same pattern. DS is turning three and outgrew it around a year ago. DD is doing it now.

I wouldn't do it any other way. It goes so by so fast ... it's one way to treasure being in the moment