Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nursing to sleep a bad habit?

Default Nursing to sleep a bad habit?

My dd is 13 weeks old and does pretty well sleeping through the night. I always have to nurse her to sleep though. I don't really mind, but our bedtime routine is quite long. I was just wondering is this something that I should allow my daughter to continue to do or something I should try to change.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Default Re: Nursing to sleep a bad habit?

My DS is now about 7 1/2 months old and I often nurse him to sleep. IMO I don't see a problem with nursing your baby to sleep. It is normal for a breastfed baby to fall asleep at the breast. If I am understanding correctly, there is actually something in breastmilk that makes babies sleepy. Do what works for you and your LO. Hope this helps a little!

I nursed mine to sleep until she was about 18 mos old. If it's working for you and her, go for it. No need to change what's not broken. FWIW, she went to sleep just fine for her day care providers and my husband so it wasn't really a problem for us since I didn't mind and actually enjoyed the time I spent nursing her to sleep.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Do you ladies nurse to sleep for naps too? I posted our other sleeping issue in the Sleep forum, but I don't think anyone has responded. I have a hard time getting dd to take naps. She falls asleep and a few minutes after I put her down she wakes up. If I put her in her swing, she stays asleep. I'm just afraid that she will only want to sleep in her swing if I continue to do this.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I'm no help there. I work full time so I rarely put her down for naps. When I did on the weekends I nursed her down.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I have mixed feelings about this issue.

My LO always falls asleep on the breast so yes, I have to nurse her to sleep for her naps as well.

I think it all depends on your baby if it's a good idea or bad because my LO needs me to fall asleep or at least a bottle of pumped milk when I'm not around. I guess I never taught her to fall asleep on her own so she needs something to get her to sleep. She constantly wakes up throughout the night (she's 10 months old) about every 2 hrs. and 90% of the time cries even with dad's holding her until I walk in through the door and offer her breast. Even if I pick her up and try to rock her she pushes me away and tries to scoot down to my breast. So, this is a difficult one for me since I'm trying to get her to not need me as much to fall asleep especially since I'm so tired because I don't get much sleep because of it. And sometimes I wonder if it was a good idea myself. Sorry I can't offer much advice except that I've been there and still am.
    First time mom of Cristiana Veronika

Born on 1/26/08 (@ 36 wks) weighing 5 lbs 14 oz

and

+ = happy baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    My dd is 13 weeks old and does pretty well sleeping through the night. I always have to nurse her to sleep though. I don't really mind, but our bedtime routine is quite long. I was just wondering is this something that I should allow my daughter to continue to do or something I should try to change.

I suggest that you do what you feel comfortable doing.... I posted what I did here:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...009#post622009

Do you ladies nurse to sleep for naps too? I posted our other sleeping issue in the Sleep forum, but I don't think anyone has responded. I have a hard time getting dd to take naps. She falls asleep and a few minutes after I put her down she wakes up. If I put her in her swing, she stays asleep. I'm just afraid that she will only want to sleep in her swing if I continue to do this.
    I have always had a hard time with naps. I could nurse him to sleep, but laying him down was HARD, as in, I couldn't! I ended up holding him for 1-2 hours while he slept! Sometimes we could do the swing. My husband and I recently decided that we couldn't keep doing that, so I don't nurse him to sleep at nap time anymore. I feed him, but keep him awake to get as much as possible. Then I wrap him up and lay him on a pillow on the bed. I lay down beside him and hum and pat/rub him until he falls asleep. We tried this same thing a while back and it didn't work, but he doesn't seem to mind it now.

I just found it made life easier. It would take 15 min to put DS to sleep, but would take longer if not bf. Many parents spend upto an hour into their nighttime routine, bath, change, books, cuddle etc, I reckon our routine is pretty quick really. I also bf before naps, keep in mind that before you know it your LO will only be having a nap a day, so it's not really a big deal.

Yes there is the issue of sleep associations. Try to delatch just as your LO falls asleep, and if they wake in the night try offering a cuddle if you think it's too early for a feed, this way too they are occasionally going back to sleep without actually feeding.

If you have trouble putting your baby down after feeding, one answer is to feed them lying down, if you don't have them in a bed an option is to put the cot mattress on the ground for you to lie on? I did this a few times before I got a bed for my DS.

Good luck and sweet dreams :-)

Well, I may be in the minority, but I still nurse my 2 YO down to sleep. She only falls asleep without it in the car (or a rare couple of times for DH). I don't mind it though, rather I enjoy it and don't want to deal with changing it. A lot of times now though she'll nurse and then just lay her head on my shoulder and fall asleep like that. So maybe that's not really considered nursing to sleep? Anyway, we did the napping in the swing bit for a few months, and she eventually outgrew it. It was hell when she did until she learned to nurse to sleep. Honestly, they go through so many changes, and just about the time you have them figured out, they switch it up. I say at this age, just go with the flow and do whatever works. At that age, I was in survival mode. I did what I had to. Things are much easier now!

I do exactly the same with my 4 month old DD and for daytime naps she's usually in the swing too. I have had your concerns but as a PP said...if it ain't broke don't fix it. My DD sleeps a good 8-10 hr in her cot at night so I'm not so concerned that she takes her naps in the swing in the day. I think that I'd be more concerned if she didn't sleep long at night. Oh and I love the long bedtime routine. It helps me destress at the end of the day.
    Cloth diaper using mummy to Eleanor Louise (born 4th Aug 2008)
    Expecting #2 on my birthday 15th March 2011.