Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Another ? about Reglan

Default Another ? about Reglan

Okay so I did the 2 weeks my Dr. prescribed. When I was on 3 a day I was great. No problems, my supply went up, we went 4 whole days w/o formula at all! Then, as soon as I went to 1 a day like she said, boom, supply went back down. When I called them about it she said they weren't really supposed to do it more than once, but she sent in another script to do it again. Is this normal? I was kind of getting from other moms that they stay on it, not go off it after 2 weeks. This is the only thing that has gotten my supply up enough to keep her off formula. Anyone have any input?
    I'm Shannon!
    Single, babywearing, barefoot in the grass mama to 3 wonderful babies!
    Abby 11-25-03
    Terry 9-29-06
    Kate 6-12-08
    and my Jack 11-17-02, gone to God at 11 weeks

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

"I am going to be happy today, though the skies may be cloudy or gray. No matter what comes my way, I am going to be happy today."

Default Re: Another ? about Reglan

Staying on Reglan long-term is not uncommon, but it's also not really desirable. One of the side-effects of Reglan is an elevated risk for depression, and that's probably why your doc is reluctant to keep you on the drug. You might want to wean yourself from the Reglan more slowly this time, and see if that keeps you from getting the abrupt supply dip.

When I had supply troubles, I took Reglan for about a month, month and a half- something like that. I didn't see much improvement until I got myself a hospital-grade rental pump ($2/day). The more frequently and thoroughly I pumped, the more my supply came up.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamamommy3 View Post
    Okay so I did the 2 weeks my Dr. prescribed. When I was on 3 a day I was great. No problems, my supply went up, we went 4 whole days w/o formula at all! Then, as soon as I went to 1 a day like she said, boom, supply went back down. When I called them about it she said they weren't really supposed to do it more than once, but she sent in another script to do it again. Is this normal? I was kind of getting from other moms that they stay on it, not go off it after 2 weeks. This is the only thing that has gotten my supply up enough to keep her off formula. Anyone have any input?
    Here's a quote from "Making More Milk", a just published book, about Reglan
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLMarianne View Post
    Here's a quote from "Making More Milk", a just published book, about Reglan
    What defines "long term"? Interesting about the SSRI, I almost started taking one. Glad I didn't!
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin