Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Colds and milk supply and weight gain ?????

Default Colds and milk supply and weight gain ?????

Hello again ...I think I should change my alias to Paranoidmamma!!! OK so Eleanor has been doing well with reducing supplementation. Over the last few days she was down to 6oz formula per day BUT I just got a cold and coincidentally she seems to need 9oz a day again now...I'm not taking any meds and I'm pumping/feeding just as much. Just feeling ill and v tired. Could this cold be responsible for my milk supply going down again.

A separate question is that of weight gain. Eleanor has been peeing and pooping as normal (she only poops about once a week anyhow but pees at least 8 times a day) but she hasn't gained any weight in the past week. Should I be concerned. She usually gains at least 3oz a week and that has always helped me stay confident about reducing formula. Would you go as far as weighing wet diapers to determine the exact amount of output....or am I just getting too obsessed?
    Cloth diaper using mummy to Eleanor Louise (born 4th Aug 2008)
    Expecting #2 on my birthday 15th March 2011.

Default Re: Colds and milk supply and weight gain ?????

I don't know how old your LO is, but is she starting to move around a bit more? Lilly is a good gainer usually, but as she's discovered her legs and the art of kicking (a LOT) it's steadied off.
    Proud mummy to Lillypig, in love with my best friend and partner, Batfink
    One year done, and still going strong.

Eleanor is now 17 weeks old...time is flying so quickly!

Maybe she is more active now. She likes to stand with support which I guess may take more energy and leg kicking is stronger too. Does this mean that my milk supply is going to have to increase even more to balance this extra energy usage? It seems that my boobs are always about 6 weeks behind her needs and just as I start to catch up, she has an increase in demand!

She's also drooling so much that she needs a bib on at all times...I think she's teething. I don't know if that makes any difference.

I'm sorry you're feeling sick, and that your supply seems to have gone down at the same time.

I'm not aware of any research that says having a cold may decrease supply. But, stress can have an effect, and being sick is stressful. It is also possible that your baby is getting a cold, too, and nursing more because she feels sick and finds nursing comforting. Or, she may be needing more calories because she is more physically active (hey, all that kicking is hard work!).

As to whether you should be worried because she has not gained any weight in the last week (and usually gains 3 oz/wk), well...how does she seem otherwise? Is she happy? Is she engaged with her environment? Is she learning new things? Her behavior is another window into her health. If she's acting just fine, then probably her weight is of no concern at this point. If she's acting abnormally, then her weight may be an indication that a visit with her doctor is called for.

Hope this helps.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Thank you for your reply Marianne. I think that Eleanor is quite chipper and bright eyed really. I'm not sure if she got the cold. She's had a runny nose but no other signs of being ill. She's now gained a couple of oz but I think we've got to look at the overall trend as her bowl movements are so irratic. She has had less formula again the last couple of days and I think maybe I panic necessarily every time she needs a little more for a couple of days because it always seems to even out again and we are still generally supplementing less week by week even if the decrease is less than I'd like. I guess it's the same for most mothers, we worry that we are causing distress to our little ones by any of the decisions and actions we take.