I am going away on a business trip this week from Wed to Sat w/out DD (16mos). For months now I've been having a conversation in my head and even here on these boards that has kind of nonchalantly said, "well if she weans ok and if not ok." But now that the trip is quickly approaching I am starting to think much more about it. And I'm wondering if perhaps now is the perfect opportunity to wean her. She'll have 4 full days w/out me during which DH will give her a sippy of EBM at bedtime and once during the night (which is all that she currently nurses for the most part). So why not just continue that when I get home and transition the EBM to water or soy milk when the stash runs out?
I don't know for sure that I'm ready to wean. And I don't know for sure that she's ready to wean. But I do wonder if I don't take advantage of this opportunity if I'll regret it later and kick myself for not weaning when I "had the chance." I also don't know that I have it in me to do mother led weaning and yet I also don't think I want to wait for her to wean on her own. Doing it while I'm away seems kind of like the "quick like a bandaid" method...less painful for me cause I won't be around to witness it and maybe less painful for DD because she won't have me denying her the boob in person. Is that selfish of me?
DH and I were away overnight this past Saturday and my mom stayed with DD and offered her a sippy of EBM at night. On Sunday night when it was time for DD to go to bed DH asked if she wanted milk. She signed milk and walked over to him. DH said, I don't have milk, mommy does. She then walked over to the cabinet we keep her sippy's in and she again signed for milk. So, even after just one night she already seemed to understand that she can get milk from something other than mommy. Maybe that's an indication that she's ready to wean?
I'm rambling. Sorry. I just feel like I need to run this by some mamas who understand. DH and I discussed it but he's of the "whatever you want to do" mindset. And while I appreciate that he is supportive, his not having an opinion either way isn't really helpful to me.
I guess right now I'm leaning towards not offering when I get back home and if she asks for milk trying to offer a sippy first and then see what happens. If it goes well and w/out tears (from her, not me...I'm sure I'll have tears. I do now just thinking about it) then great. And if there are tears and it's a struggle, I'll take up nursing her again. Does that sound like an ok plan?
I'd love to hear from anyone who's BTDT...whether you ended up weaning or not.