Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: overactive letdown

Default overactive letdown

it seems from all my reading that I have an overactive letdown which is why my 3 month old sometimes gets very aggitated and upset while feeding and stiffens up and won't feed anymore, also explains his green poop. ON suggestion, I pumped a little and then fed him so that he would be more comfortable and we would reduce the spraying and too much foremilk. this seems to have worked. my question is that this seems like a very temporary solution. especially since feeding on one breast doesn't seem to satisfy him (it was said also to feed exclusively on one breast for several hours). am I doing this right? Should I just be feeding him on one breast for several hours and then switch to the other? I just want confirmation that I am doing this right. Thank you.

Default Re: overactive letdown

Another thing you can do is pull the baby off the breast when you feel your letdown is about to happen, and catch the spray in a towel/burp cloth. That would keep you from having to cart around a pump.

You may have already seen this link but it has a lot of helpful tips: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

There is some info partway down that page regarding block nursing. But I think block nursing works better for oversupply, which can happen at the same time as OALD but not necessarily.

We noticed a huge improvement in my LO's ability to deal with my OALD around 3 months, so you may be close to turning a corner.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

You can find a lot of great information and support in this forum:
    http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32

I would spray my LO in the face and she was cry and choke. It seemed to get better around 3 months. She can handle the quick letdown now and gets full much faster.

I usually pumped alittle first or used a towel to express some first.