Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 month old only wants bottles of EB now

Unhappy 3 month old only wants bottles of EB now

My LO is now refusing to feed off my breast. I am so depressed and saddened. What is happening I cant figure it out. I am having to pump all day now. Im attached to this machine. I dont put soap on my breasts, I dont put lotion so I cant figure it out. I did recently start to spot(menstruate). I dont know if this is the problem because he drinks the EB with no problems. Please help, I miss the closeness of breastfeeding I know I should be ok with this as long as I could still offer LO breastmilk. But I dont want to be attached to machine all day.

Default Re: 3 month old only wants bottles of EB now

Are you working? Just trying to figure out where it all began - when did you introduce a bottle, and how often was your LO getting bottles?

Here are some tips on getting baby back to the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

ETA: Forgot to ask - are you using slow-flow nipples?
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Thank you for responding so quickly. I am so desperate for help with this. I miss breastfeeding so much.

I am back at work now, its been about a month. I introduced a bottle to LO when he was 6 weeks old but did not have him use it until I returned to work. LO goes thru 2 - 3 bottles while im at work. I work a midnight shift so that is the only time he would use the bottle.

After buying many different bottles and nipples, i found he likes using the Playtex nurser with a slow flow nipple.

Nothing drastic has changed in our lives so im stumped. LO just started to refuse my breast. Anyone, please help!
    wife to detective , mom to 19 yr old lady

and starting all over with jr. and so

our blessing came, 02 Sept. 08 , 7 lbs. 12 ozs.

, enjoy ,

Hi!
    Can't really help you much, just to say that I think I'm on th same road right now. My LO is 3 months and I'm back to work for a month now. I was planning to enjoy BFing during holidays (I was home 5 days) but it was a challenge, she was crying and I literally had to do lots of tricks every time i wanted her to nurse (except at night), she' d cry and cry!

All I wanted to tell you is (what I keep telling myself) it's not the end of the worls, we did a good job BFing for 3 month, and if we'd have to stop (not our good will, but a nessesity), life goes on, babies grow on formula too (my old lady, how you say it, wasn't BFed and she's now 15, smart and healthy).
    I'm sure you doing your best, and so do I, you're doing all you can, what else can you do? I'd just say keep trying to put him to breast, stubbornly, for every feeding!

Good luck to you!
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work

oh mama, this must be hard for you

That's a great link that kaitlyn's mom gave you!

Perhaps trying lots of skin to skin contact when you are home. Offering the breast often (and before offering any bottles) may help as well, because if she is not too hungry she may be more patient and willing to wait for a letdown.

One of the differences between breastmilk in a bottle and breastmilk from the breast is the initial period of waiting. With the breast, the baby has to wait a few minutes (while continually sucking) for the letdown to begin, whereas with a bottle it's like letdown has already happened and the milk is right there ready. Maybe pumping/hand expressing for a few minutes before a nursing session (to stimulate letdown) would help. That way when baby latches, letdown is right around the corner.

Don't give up mama you can do this!
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Thank you ladies

I needed that support. LO has been on strike for a week now. Two days ago he did go to my breast during the night feedings But in the morning, he went back to his strike I will try your advice on using skin to skin contact and I will try to pump before a feeding. LO almost took my breast today until the letdown was strong and was spraying him! I have OS and OALD issues. I was block feeding until the strike blocked me for good....

, enjoy ,

Along the lines of what the other mamas said, just getting as much skin to skin contact as possible will be good. Even having your LO spend time at the breast nursing or not being around and familiar with the breast can help! Hang in there!
    Renee
    LLL Leader

Thank you all for your support. Last night I didn't have to work so LO and I slept together in bed. I layed my head next to his and he turned his face towards mine while asleep We slept like this all night it was so beautiful, i fell in love all over again I bring this up because LO fed off me all day after this I think my working a midnight shift is hard on him. I'm trying to switch to days but it's based on seniority Im going to continue to do what I can to ensure I could continue my breastfeeding. Any advice regarding moms working midnights will also help... Thank you again

, enjoy ,

That is really sweet. I'm glad things are getting better!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.