Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding and air travel

Default Re: Breastfeeding and air travel

Hi,
    We took our daughter on a long flight when she was 6 months old. I had initially planned to take EBM but nearer the time I changed my mind as I thought - what's more convenient than milk straight from the boob!?
    No need to worry then about rules/regs, ice packs etc. I wore a baggy shirt and fed her as normal - especially take off and landing. She was fine and I'm glad I didn't express.
    Hope it goes well.
    I'm Tracy. Wife to Jez. Mum to Abigail born 4th March 08 and Harriet 15th July 09
    and loving it. Trying out with new baby - so far so good!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    They made me take him out when I went through! Woke him up and everything.
    Although in San Diego now evidently they have a special "with children" line, so maybe they are more lenient...
    That stinks! They have always let me wear DS. (I had all of his outerwear off.) To lose a nap right before a flight - wrong, wrong, wrong!!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

My husband will be with me cause we are going to see his parents (yee haw) so it will be nice to have the help and extra lap for the flight. We are flying Southwest as they are the only one offering a non-stop from here (sucks that they don't have assigned seating and I can't remember if they let babies board early or not).

I'm planning on breastfeeding as I normally do the whole time we're there, but my issue was coming back with what I've pumped. I'm going back to work in Jan and have started pumping every morning to get a stash started and don't want to miss out on a session and REFUSE to dump!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aunt.r View Post
    my issue was coming back with what I've pumped. I'm going back to work in Jan and have started pumping every morning to get a stash started and don't want to miss out on a session and REFUSE to dump!
    Here is info about BM on airlines...
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I'm flying SW at the end of the month and had the same questions about bringing milk so I called them. You can bring EBM through w/ ice packs but the packs need to be the re-usable kind and be less than 3 ounces. I can't find a size on the ice packs I have so I'm going to bring empty baggies with me in case I need to beg for ice after security She also mentioned to bring her birth certificate for age verification.

Here's a link to SW infant travel info: http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/infants.html

HTH. Have a good trip!
    Megan
    Karina Abigail-born 8/2/2008

Made it a year!! Here's to a long and happy BF realtionship!

Thanks again for all the info! I think my ice packs are bigger than 3 oz so the ziplocs may be the way to go...

How long is your flight? BM is good at room temp for 8-10 hours...it might not even need to be an issue.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

We just flew SW with my son last month and he was 10 weeks when we left and 14 weeks when we returned. You will have no prob. bring your BM back with you when you return, just make sure you declare it.

I had to take my son out of his carrier to go through security. It was a pain, because I lost the use of my hands, but they do have a family line at most airports now, so I really didn't feel bad.

SW does not allow pre-boarding for families anymore, but they will let you board between the A and B groups. If you have an A boarding ticket you can just get in line like normal and board w/ your group.

You can check a stroller and/or carseat at the gate no problem. It is supposed to count as one of your pieces of luggage, but they never checked with us. This was great for us, because even though he didn't really sit in the stroller all that much, everything else did and my hands were free! Also if the flight isn't all that full you can ask if you can bring the carseat on board. We did this on our first flight and he slept almost the whole way in his seat. Yay for me!

Good Luck, I'm sure you'll have a great time w/ the in-laws

Oh, and I just got off the phone with TSA.

They said that any size of the blue gel freezer things can be brought on board, not just ones under 3oz. She said just to declare them with your BM.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Oh, and I just got off the phone with TSA.

They said that any size of the blue gel freezer things can be brought on board, not just ones under 3oz. She said just to declare them with your BM.
    COOL!!!

You are way organized...
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png