Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: increasing pumping supply?

Default increasing pumping supply?

I have a 15 week old dd and only bf. I also work part time, friday Sat and monday's. I'm off the other 3 days. My problem is that I work about a 10hr day and I only pump 2-3x's. But when I pump at work and now that I'm at home I only get about 1oz from the right breast and maybe 1/2oz from the left. I was getting about 3 and 4 oz. At home dd eats about evey 2-3hrs. She seems very satisfied after about 10-20 of nursing either on one side or both. Is the lack of bm pumping from not pumping as much at work? I try to pump when she is feeding and only get about 2oz. I'm very scared that my supply is going away. I've bought the fenugreek and mother's milk tea and will start to eat oatmea(I did not know that can help also). Also this has all started in the last few days that I've been home from work. Just very scared and looking to see if anyone else has had this issue? Thanks and sorry this is so long

Default Re: increasing pumping supply?

Quote Originally Posted by Haley's mamma
    I have a 15 week old dd and only bf. I also work part time, friday Sat and monday's. I'm off the other 3 days. My problem is that I work about a 10hr day and I only pump 2-3x's. But when I pump at work and now that I'm at home I only get about 1oz from the right breast and maybe 1/2oz from the left. I was getting about 3 and 4 oz. At home dd eats about evey 2-3hrs. She seems very satisfied after about 10-20 of nursing either on one side or both. Is the lack of bm pumping from not pumping as much at work? I try to pump when she is feeding and only get about 2oz. I'm very scared that my supply is going away. I've bought the fenugreek and mother's milk tea and will start to eat oatmea(I did not know that can help also). Also this has all started in the last few days that I've been home from work. Just very scared and looking to see if anyone else has had this issue? Thanks and sorry this is so long
    I can sympathize with what you are experiencing. Even though I knew what was happening it still alarmed me to see such a drastic change so suddenly. However, you have nothing to be worried about. It sounds like your body has simply regulated your milk supply. After your hormones level out your body becomes more efficient at producing milk ... see the info quoted below. This is normal as your body adjusts to your baby's needs. This is not any indication of milk supply or production - it's just a normal adjustment that the body makes when your breasts begin to regulate your supply. And remember that what you can pump has no relation to what your baby girl is taking in when she nurses ... a healthy breastfed baby is much more efficient at getting milk from the breast than a pump is.

Kelly Bonyata, BS, IBCLC states:

"It is normal for a mother's breasts to begin to feel less full, soft, even empty, after the first 6-12 weeks.

Many mothers have concerns about milk supply after the early weeks because they notice a drop in pumped amounts or they notice that their breasts feel "soft" or "empty". It is normal for your breasts to feel mostly soft after the first weeks, although if there has been a long stretch without nursing or pumping they might feel a little full and heavy.

The feeling of fullness (sometimes even engorgement) that nursing mothers notice during the early weeks of breastfeeding is really not the norm at all, but means that mom's breasts haven't yet adjusted to the amount of milk that baby needs. At some point, typically around 6-12 weeks (if a mom has oversupply it may take longer), your milk supply will begin to regulate and your breasts will begin to feel less full, soft, or even empty. You may stop leaking, you may stop feeling let-down (or feel it less), and if you pump you may notice that you're not getting as much milk. This doesn't mean that milk supply has dropped, but that your body has figured out how much milk is being removed from the breast and is no longer making too much. This change may come about gradually or seem rather sudden. Many people are not aware that these breast changes are normal because so many mothers stop breastfeeding early on and never see this change (or mistakenly interpret this change as a sign that milk supply has dried up and wean because of this change)."

Take a look at these resources:

Is your milk supply really low?

]I'm pumping my milk to feed my baby, but my supply is going down. What can I do?

Hopefully this has answered most of your concerns. You are doing a wonderful job, mama!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Paint-the-moon covered everything I would have said, however I would add that you should try to pump at work as often as you nurse when you are with your baby. It is important on those days for your body not to think that you are starting to wean, not to mention that you will need that supply of milk for the next day. Is it possible that you need a stronger grade pump?

thanks ladies, that is a big relief for me to know that it's not my fault that this is happening. I started to pump in between her feedings to get the supply up. My husband is home with her when I'm at work. Also the type of pump that I use is a Medela Pump in Style Advanced. I was told that this is a really good pump. I didn't have a choice getting it. My insurance company got it for me. (free ). Thanks again and will work on the pumping more at work. I also just have to say that all of you are wonderful and very helpful to us new mommies.

I have the Pump in Style too and love it, but my insurance company didn't pay for!?! That's great to hear that insurance companies do such things. And no need to thank us - we're all in the same boat needing help, advice or just an ear to chew!