Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is he supposed to be nursing this much?

Default Is he supposed to be nursing this much?

Hello ladies,

My son is 15 months now and I'm so glad I have been able to nurse him this long without difficulties but I'm getting a little confused at how much he is nursing. At 12 months he was nursing 3 times a day and to me it looked like he was losing interest and would soon be weaning himself but this past month he's gone up to nursing about 6 times a day. I was feeding him solid foods every two hours because he was a little skinny according to the doctor but because it would get me so frustrated, and make me an evil mommy now I space his feedings so that he does eat a reasonable amount without me having to bully him. He's eating about 4 times a day and eats everything great, veggies, soups, fruits...But since I refuse to chase him around and around he doesn't eat quite as much as I would love him to. Could this be the reason he's nursing so much? Is he hungry for more solids -and if so why is it so damn difficult to get him to eat!!?? (sore subject)

I don't mind nursing him on demand, but it just that lately he's constantly asking for "more, more, more"(that's how he asks for milk)...

Thanks..sorry about the rant
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Default Re: Is he supposed to be nursing this much?

Enjoy it momma~ It sadly doesn't last forever.

Nursing the second year is as much and as often as the toddler and momma feel comfortable with. Some will nurse round the clock, and others start to cut back quicker. There is really no predictable pattern with nursing a toddler, just that some days/weeks it seems more than others.

My son never really ate any solids until recently, and he was basically BM only until around 14 months.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Thanks, I know he wont be nursing forever but I guess I just thought having a toddler would be different. It's like I no longer think of my son as my little infant baby because he certainly isn't but he still has the same needs as an infant sometimes . It's very confusing because I get so frustrated with him not eating (and the thing is he'll eat really well with my mom and his baby sitter, even with his dad but if I offer him something ) and of course now that he's bigger and so active instead of being more independent from me he's like on a mommy craze. I love him so much but life stresses me out too much I guess that this additional stress is driving nuts!!!

I thought that during the second year my DD would slow down the number of nursings and begin to eat more solid food. I also thought she would be too curious about the world around her that nursing would be the last thing on her mind. Boy was I wrong. My 22 month old is still nursing 2 times during the week (I work) and up to 8 times during weekend days. Some are brief, some not so much. I'm trying to be patient, especially on days when she wants to nurse every hour we're awake.
    On the independance thing. DD was really attached to me up until a few months ago. My DH is a SAHD and she has finally developed an attachment towards him that is just as strong as to me. I think it takes nurslings longer to stray from mom, but it will happen.
    Enjoy your LO

Last edited by @llli*elisaaz; November 30th, 2008 at 08:58 PM. Reason: duplicate posting

I'll have to search harder for my "fun hat" I suppose and hope that soon society will accomodate families and their childrens needs better because if that were so my stresses wouldn't exists really...*hoping*

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jaki.myny View Post
    Thanks, I know he wont be nursing forever but I guess I just thought having a toddler would be different. It's like I no longer think of my son as my little infant baby because he certainly isn't but he still has the same needs as an infant sometimes .
    Actually, I personally think that only nursing 6 times per day at age 15 mos. is quite a cutback from what my newborns nursed like IYKWIM. Both of my sons were every 2 hour nursers until 7.5-12 mos respectively. I remember my youngest son probably nursed 6 times a day at about the 15 mos. range. Considering how much he nursed as a newborn, he'd cut his nursing sessions down by half in only a year or so.

Nursing my first baby in the second year did seem to leave me feeling a bit more stressed, and I thought he nursed much more often than I thought he needed to, but we worked through it just fine. I got alot of relief by starting to implement some limits on nursing in public and at home when I was stressed or in the middle of a task or whatnot once my oldest got to be 12-15 mos. or so and could have other healthy snacks and drinks.

With my youngest son, who is lower on the weight scale, I focused most on making sure he was eating healthy foods first at meal times, and then let him nurse more often (if he wanted to) than I did with his big brother. He wasn't the best solid food eater though at 15 mos. Some days it seemed he barely ate a thing, regardless of how much I nursed him or how much I tried to get him to wait to nurse in an attempt to get him to eat more solids. He only ate the bare minimum of solids at that age, so I was more willing to nurse him more simply because I knew he could use the extra nutrition. He's 2.5 years old now, and eats very well now, though he prefers lots of smaller meals and snacks than 3 big meals.

Kids are all different. I know it can be stressful when you think your child should be nursing less often or more often at this age, because there really isn't a LLL guide to how often the lo should be nursing in the second year. Just try to remember that he's also going to nurse more often when he needs comfort, and when he's teething, and when he's sick, and that there's a big variation of what's normal for a nursing 15 mos. old. Some are still nursing 8-12 times a day like a newborn, and some are only nursing a couple of times a day and alot are somewhere in between. Your lo's personal metabolic needs come into play here too.