Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: shorter and shorter nursing times

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    932

    Default shorter and shorter nursing times

    My LO just turned one. He has never liked to hang out on the boob for long periods and has always been a fast nurser. He has been down to 2-3 min MAX on one side and less on the other for a couple of months now. I know he can drain the one side in 2-3 min so I don't mind that. But, now we're at the point where he gets so impatient for the letdown on the good side that sometimes he barely stays on long enough for a letdown. I HATE the feeling of just getting to the letdown point and then he stops. I feel like the milk wants to burst out but has no where to go. I cannot make him latch back on when this happens most of the time. I can't believe he doesn't realize by now that if he would just stay on a little longer, the milk will come out! It always does! But he gets mad and comes off.

    My letdowns aren't taking any longer to occur (not that I can tell, anyways), and if he is sucking good they happen within 30 sec but if he is not sucking well (like if he's not relaxed, or is distracted) they take much longer and this is when he gets impatient and comes off. He still nurses pretty well at night and in the early AM when he's really relaxed.

    We do all the usual measures to deal with distraction, like quiet dark room, etc.

    I just feel like even at this age he's really starting to like nursing less and less and I don't want him to wean early. Anyone else experience this?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,318

    Default Re: shorter and shorter nursing times

    The same thing happened to me. He started dropping feedings and nursing for much shorter periods of time. A mama on here (several, in fact ) assured me that it was completely normal, and that the only thing you can count on with nursing a toddler is that it will be unpredictable. I really want to get to two years, but I've worried about whether it will happen. Just last week, he went a full week without nursing, but is now back to nursing at bedtime. They were right--the only constant thing with toddlers is change!!
    Last edited by @llli*mumtothomas; November 30th, 2008 at 07:43 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,160

    Default Re: shorter and shorter nursing times

    I agree w/ Paula.

    Mine does the same thing often, and you just have to roll with it. Although we would love to have those long nursing sessions that have wonderful letdowns and are so relaxing... toddler nursing isn't like that ALL the time.

    It certainly changes all the time when you're nursing a toddler
    Lisa

    Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    3,133

    Default Re: shorter and shorter nursing times

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumtothomas View Post
    The same thing happened to me. He started dropping feedings and nursing for much shorter periods of time. A mama on here (several, in fact ) assured me that it was completely normal, and that the only thing you can count on with nursing a toddler is that it will be unpredictable. I really want to get to two years, but I've worried about whether it will happen. Just last week, he went a full week without nursing, but is now back to nursing at bedtime. They were right--the only constant thing with toddlers is change!!
    Just curious, so what did you do when he didn't nurse for a whole week? Did you pump or did you just not worry about it and after a week there was still milk there??

    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

    Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09


    Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

    Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,160

    Default Re: shorter and shorter nursing times

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    Just curious, so what did you do when he didn't nurse for a whole week? Did you pump or did you just not worry about it and after a week there was still milk there??

    Buff
    I'm not Paula, but I've also gone several days w/ no nursing and then only 1-2times a day every few days or so for an entire month. I didn't pump or anything, and when DS decided he liked to nurse more the milk just came right back in a few days. I think it takes a really long time to dry up once you've been nursing for this long.
    Lisa

    Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    3,133

    Default Re: shorter and shorter nursing times

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    I'm not Paula, but I've also gone several days w/ no nursing and then only 1-2times a day every few days or so for an entire month. I didn't pump or anything, and when DS decided he liked to nurse more the milk just came right back in a few days. I think it takes a really long time to dry up once you've been nursing for this long.
    Oh, good... that's what I was hoping. Right now my DD (she's 14 months) is still going pretty strong with our 3-4 sessions per day (on the weekends), 2-3 sessions per day (during the week), but I foresee her cutting down in the near future as she is a very independent little girl and has never liked to comfort nurse... Honestly, sometimes I wonder if she would even miss it if I didn't offer to nurse at our usual times.

    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

    Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09


    Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

    Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,318

    Default Re: shorter and shorter nursing times

    I didn't pump or anything. I really thought he was done, and though I was incredibly sad about it, I felt good because it was his way, KWIM? I can't even begin to describe how happy I was Wednesday morning when he asked to nurse! I'm really trying to approach it as a day-at-a-time thing at this point, and just to savor the times he still nurses. Last night he asked to nurse, and just after he latched on I told him I love him, and he pulled off and gave me a big smile and said, "Thank you" and latched back on. If he stopped tonight, I'm not sure it could get better than that.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    3,133

    Default Re: shorter and shorter nursing times

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumtothomas View Post
    I didn't pump or anything. I really thought he was done, and though I was incredibly sad about it, I felt good because it was his way, KWIM? I can't even begin to describe how happy I was Wednesday morning when he asked to nurse! I'm really trying to approach it as a day-at-a-time thing at this point, and just to savor the times he still nurses. Last night he asked to nurse, and just after he latched on I told him I love him, and he pulled off and gave me a big smile and said, "Thank you" and latched back on. If he stopped tonight, I'm not sure it could get better than that.
    Oh, that is just sooo sweet, mama! What a sweet little boy you have! I bet that just melted your heart when he said that... I can't wait until my LO gets more words and can say nice things like that. Too cool!!

    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

    Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09


    Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

    Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,318

    Default Re: shorter and shorter nursing times

    It did!

    I also forgot to answer the other part of your question . There was milk there when he wanted to nurse. It's amazing how it works, but it does.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    932

    Default Re: shorter and shorter nursing times

    Thank you so much ladies.... I know I really have to start thinking along the lines of "toddler nursing is unpredictable." I need to accept that that's the way it is. I guess I'm still holding out hope that we will get to the point where he will LIKE to nurse a lot and for a long time. We never really got to that point. He never really seemed to like nursing for anything other than food and that's been really painful for me. Everyone else seems to talk about how their baby finds BF comforting and nurses for a long time and that never really happened for us beyond the newborn stage. It really hurts when he pushes me away, I feel so rejected.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •