Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When will the feeds be more spaced out?

Question When will the feeds be more spaced out?

My baby is almost 4 months old and nursing at least every hour during the day and every 2 hours at least at night (often more)

We're doing just breast, no bottles, paci or anything else.

Any idea when we can go longer between feeds? When I *may* sleep again?

ETA: there isn't much of the day or night baby isn't nursing
    Last edited by @llli*boosmama; November 28th, 2008 at 02:37 PM.

Default Re: When will the feeds be more spaced out?

How long has your LO been doing this? It sounds like a growth spurt to me...
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    How long has your LO been doing this? It sounds like a growth spurt to me...
    Since birth

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but my lo is 8 months, eating solids at least twice a day, uses a paci, and STILL nurses at least every 2 hours, sometimes every 1 or 1.5 hours

I think it all just depends on baby. Some babies naturally start spacing out their own nursing sessions, and some don't. I think with my lo and I, we've created short frequent nursing sessions therefore he is getting less milk, more often. This was unintentional at first, but it did help his reflux so I went with it. Now I don't see a way to lengthen each session.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

maybe he is just growing a lot!

I'm not sure mama. Ours evened out after a couple months...

Sorry I'm not more help!

And btw,
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

How much did your lo weigh at birth and how much now?
    Do you let your lo nurse until they are done or do you time the feedings?
    Do you nurse on 1 side or both at a feeding?

Hang in there, momma.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

on a different note, to add to my above post - if I'm not in the room, he will go longer for dh The other day I went to see a play and left expressed milk for him. He refused it. Ate a little sweet potato and about one ounce of water and simply waited for me He went 5 hours in total and didn't seem the least bit upset (says dh), so it may be a comfort thing.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2a View Post
    How much did your lo weigh at birth and how much now?
    Do you let your lo nurse until they are done or do you time the feedings?
    Do you nurse on 1 side or both at a feeding?

Hang in there, momma.
    6lbs birth, now 10lbs

nothing is timed, may be 15 mins to 2 hours.

usually both, depends

Thanks for the welcome

There are some tips for coping with frequent nursing in this link from kellymom
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/frequent-nursing.html
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

DD was just like that. Her nursing started spacing out around 4MO when she started becoming more aware of the world around her. She also stopped nursing for as long. But, even then, she would nurse at least every three hours. Do you have a sling that you could nurse your baby in while you do other things around the house?

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09