Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much milk per day?

Default How much milk per day?

I know the answer varies per baby, milk content, and stage of development. However, I have OS, a large 20 pound 6 month old, and seemingly high nutrient milk. I can barely get my LO to nurse 6 times a day. I have to strech out feedings to every 4 hours and then offer it to him since he never shows hunger signs. If I try to nurse him in shorter intervals, such as 3 hours between feedings, he bites and acts uninterested, preferring his thumb instead. Now that he has teeth, the biting really hurts. I don't want to starve him though.

The question about amount comes up because I double pump twice a day five days a week at work. I pump around 11- 14oz/ day. I only leave him 9oz when I'm gone and he doesn't ask for more. I nurse him 4 times- when I get home, before bed, dream feed in the middle of the night, and in the morning before leaving for work. We just introduced solids 2 weeks ago- 1 teaspoon of veggy once a day. I don't want to drop a feeding yet for fear of not giving him enough or drop a pumping session for fear of someday losing my OS and not being able to provide enough milk for him. He also is a distractable older baby and I want to make sure he doesn't forget to eat with all the other excitement in the world around him.

Everything I read seems to pertain to normal or undersuppliers. I can't feed him every 2-3 hours because he just won't take it. I'm happy for those where this works out and their babies are fed and they don't get plugged ducts and mommy and baby are happy, but that's not where I'm at right now. The literature seems to say 6 month olds should nurse at least 5-6 times a day. With my OS and a 6 month old that is physically as large as a one year old, can I get away with feeding him less? What is the minimum amount of milk I should be giving him?

Help! My boobs always feel like they are going to explode.

Default Re: How much milk per day?

as long as baby is having wets and nice poops
    and growing you know your doing ok.
    You know your baby best!

Default Re: How much milk per day?

One of the most wonderful things about breastfeeding is that you are teaching your baby good eating habits from the start--eat when you're hungry, stop when you're satisfied. Because you can't force a baby to latch on and nurse, your baby is in charge of whether to nurse any time you offer the breast.

So, if your six-month-old nurses four times/day (and takes some of your milk by bottle while you're at work) no matter how many times you offer the breast, then your baby is doing exactly what is right for him.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader