Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Scratching the mommy

Default Scratching the mommy

HI,

My DS 2 (8 mo.s) has started to scratch me A LOT while nursing. He will scratch with both hands: one on the breast and the other on my mommy fat. It is more than just annoying; it actually hurts a little. I keep his mails trimmed & filed. When I move his hands away he protests and will not nurse again unless I let him hold me.

Any advice?

Anyone else dealing with this problem.
    2005 2008

Default Re: Scratching the mommy

Do you wear a nursing tank (or something similar) while nursing him? That would keep most of you covered so he couldn't get to the skin.

If it's hurting you, my advice would be to physically stop him from scratching even if he seems upset. Eventually he will stop and you don't want BFing to become painful or you'll start resenting it. I remember a couple times DD tried to fight me on something like that and I just wouldn't give in. She finally decided it wasn't worth it.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

why do they do this!?
    DD has been PINCHING lately? like pinching my upper breast I actually have bruises she'll also rip my lip off, shove her fingers in my mouth and pinch my double chin!

I try to hold her hand *she used to ALWAYS hold my finger while nursing when she was smaller* but she fights me to let it go.

sorry no help here i'll be watchign this thread as well

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

I have been wondering if I should treat it like biting...nice to mommy or no booby milk.

It's the night time feeds that are the most bothersome because I'm trying to sleep/rest.

DS 1 was a pincher so feel for you there.
    2005 2008

My DS is doing all of the above, pinching, scratching, tweeking. Somewhere I read about a nursing necklace. I Just might give that a try. Even with a shirt on he pulls it out of the way for full skin to skin contact. My chest looks like I had a run in with Freddie Kruger.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*milk.milk.lemonade View Post
    My DS is doing all of the above, pinching, scratching, tweeking. Somewhere I read about a nursing necklace. I Just might give that a try. Even with a shirt on he pulls it out of the way for full skin to skin contact. My chest looks like I had a run in with Freddie Kruger.
    Good luck to you with trying the necklace.. i tried that i made neclaces with big ol beads for her ot grab and stare at.. pshhh didnt work!

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*milk.milk.lemonade View Post
    DS was a tweaker, and I recently made a nursing necklace. What a difference! I made it out of 1mm stretchy plastic cord & gaudy beads, knotting every 4th bead just in case it breaks. DS loves to play with it instead of me, and when he grabs me he lets me redirect him. It's worth a try...

Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

yup time for some manners!
    IT might take a few tries but toddler well get it!

My lo recently started doing this. Sometimes I can just hold his arm down (though sometimes this upsets him and he won't nurse). I've started putting him in the shirts with hand covers at night and it helps a lot.