Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: catching a cold

Default catching a cold

I think that I am getting a little cold...is it still okay to bf? I have some bm stored up but not enough to get through a week.

Also, i know that I cannot take any nasal decongestant but is there anything out there to help?
    Mom to baby girl 7/15/08 and baby boy 4/13/10.

breast feeding again

I'm a mama.

Default Re: catching a cold

yup, you can certainly still breastfeed - in fact it's the best thing you can do. By breastfeeding, you are passing antibodies (for this particular cold) to your lo

I'm not big on medications personally, so what I do is usually old fashioned "passed down by grandma" cold/flu remedies
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

yes mama!!! Definitely BF. I've found that if I got a cold, then ds didn't get it. But, if I didn't catch a cold and dd had one ... she always passed it on to ds.

The anitbodies will help your LO from catching your cold.

ITA with pp. Sleep with a humidifier...take a long, hot shower...drink lots and lots of water (no milk... it is the worst for mucous) and get your rest if you can.

Hope you feel better soon mama!
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

www.kellymom.com has a list of medications and herbs that are safe while breastfeeding.

Agree with PPs. BFing is the best thing to do for your baby if you are sick I was sick a couple times and so was DH when DD was just a couple months old and she never got sick.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

You can also safely take homeopathics when ill and BF. I take one called oscillococcinum at the first sign of a cold or flu and I am never sick for more than a couple of days.

with pp re keeping up BF. It's the best thing as your lo will get antibodies to the virus you're fighting. Isn't breastfeeding amazing?
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Thanks for all the great info! I have put a humidifier in my room and drinking lots of fluids. I am hoping that it passes soon.
    Mom to baby girl 7/15/08 and baby boy 4/13/10.

breast feeding again

I'm a mama.

Hope you feel better soon mama!
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I agree with trying the Oscillococcinum. I've read that it's safe while pregnant and breastfeeding. It works pretty well if you're able to take it right at the onset of symptoms. If you take it too late it doesn't work as well. But it works well for cold and the flu. Hope you feel better soon.