Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: milk supply is low... i think - help!

Default milk supply is low... i think - help!

I have a 3 month old daughter and i breastfeed her, with the odd formula bottle here and there when she is at grandmas house being babysat. I pump 1-2 times a day to make a bottle for her before bed so dad can feed her it. That bottle I give her is 5 ounces (she drinks it all).

When her dad feeds her the bottle i will pump for the next night and usually i get about 4 ounces, then just need to pump another time to get the extra ounce.

In the past week when i pump while she is having her bottle i'm lucky if i can even get 3 ounces! I have not changed my diet, changed her feeding times ect. Also! when she is feeding she will start on the left and after about 4 minutes she cries and will not take anymore from that side and i have to move her to the right where she will continue to feed for another 10-15 minutes but is fussy constantly on both sides (more on the left)

The doctor says she is perfect weight and height...

BTW - she feeds ever 4 hours, except at night she will go about 6 hours.

My doctor prescribed me Domperidone if i wanted to use it and said it is perfectly safe, but i guess i just want a second opinion...

Any thoughts or is there anything i can do without using the medication that will increase my milk supply?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: milk supply is low... i think - help!

Pumping output changes often and it is not a good indicator of how much milk you are making A better indicator of your milk supply is the number of wet diapers your daughter is making per 24 hours. If she is having 5-6 or more wet diapers in 24 hours, then it means that you are making enough milk. I use to be able to pump enough on and off during the day to build a small freezer stash. Now I can't pump a teaspoon full Is it possible that your cycle may be returning? Sometimes your supply takes a small drop for a few days just before your period starts. Also, the fussiness could be that she may be having a growth spurt and your body has to catch up to her new demand. Or teething can often cause fussiness at the breast. My son began teething at 2 months, and we didn't see a tooth until after month 5

What is the wet diaper count? Because if the wet diaper count is fine perhaps changing your diet a little to increase your supply instead of taking medication. Drinking lots of water can increase your supply, as can oatmeal (real oatmeal that you cook on a stove, not the instant).
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

thanks for the welcome and quick reply.

I havn't kept track of the diapers, but usually i will change a wet diaper after ever feed and sometimes 2 times between feeds. so i would imagine she is getting enough, its just frustrating when she is so fussy by tugging and pulling on me during her feeds! will it stop? lol

What about the domperidone drug? I dont want to take it if it will cause any risk even a minor risk to my baby.

When i do pump it will take a while for the milk to start coming out, is it possible that she is fussy because of the let down? will the domperidone help that? or is there anyway i can help it?

Here is some info on Domperidone.

From what I understand only a small amount passes through the breastmilk, but because of the side effects to the mother it's advised to try other methods to increase milk before using dom.

hmm, if it's taking a while for letdown to occur, that certainly could be causing your baby to become fussy. Patients isn't a virtue of most babies You could hand express a little to start the milk flowing before latching her, that way things are moving and she may not be so upset. Also, you could try switching to the second breast when she starts to get fussy and then switch back (so that she gets enough of the fast letdown to quench her thirst) and then she may take the hindmilk.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

this might help also

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/lo...ly.html#supply

To speed milk production and increase overall milk supply, the key is to remove more milk from the breast and to do this frequently, so that less milk accumulates in the breast between feedings.

. I'm glad you found us.

I echo what the first poster said about the possibility of your period returning, or a growth spurt.

There's a new book written by two LLL Leaders, called "Making More Milk". The authors have a website. You'll find useful info about domperidone there.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Many mothers around here including myself eat oatmeal to help with their supply. I can really notice a big difference when I eat a bowl daily. Maybe you could try this.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!