Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This scotch drinker is a little tired of wine.

Cool This scotch drinker is a little tired of wine.

I feel silly asking this question! I swear I am a good and responsible mom.

About once a week, I have a glass of wine in the evening. I don't pump and dump or delay nursing, I'm quite confident that my daughter can metabolise the tiny bit of alcohol she might get from that one drink.

The thing is, I like wine, but I love good scotch. I was a scotch drinker before I got pregnant and haven't had any since. We have a couple of very nice bottles in the house, and some evenings I'd really love to have a little.

So the question is, is there a difference between wine and hard liquor as far as breastfeeding goes? Would half a shot of scotch make it into my breastmilk any more than one glass of wine?

She's nearly 8 months old, and just over 25lbs, if that makes a difference. She nurses every 2 hours or so.

Birth 7lb 6oz
    1 mo 10lb 8oz
    2 mo 14lb
    4 mo 19lb 1oz
    5 mo 21lbs
    6 mo 23lbs
    7 mo 24lbs

Default Re: This scotch drinker is a little tired of wine.

You can drink whatever you want, the key is to metabolize it BEFORE you feed again rather than assume your child can metabolize it. The rule of thumb is if you feel it, don't nurse. So normally the reason that they say a glass of wine or one beer is OK is because MOST people won't feel that in 2 hours. So if you are drinking that right after you nurse and you have two hours you are fine. Most people feel hard alcohol for longer. So I would pump a bottle or pull one out of stash if you have one going. Then feed your child and have an ACTUAL shot and then wait probably closer to 3hours to feed again.Or if you get a longer stretch than two hours at night, have it then.

But I wouldn't assume that your 8month can safely process alcohol. That isn't true. But think in terms of getting a DUI. Would you get in a car a drive with out fear of blowing the legal limit? If you KNEW there was a test point set up on your way home? If the answer is YES then feed. If NO even if you would hesitate, wait.

Way too lazy for formula

Oh good point! The "would I drive" rule of thumb is the one I've been using, since I definitely do not feel one glass of wine even an hour after having it. What I usually do is have the one glass WHILE nursing, giving me a window of time before she nurses again.

I can't remember if scotch makes me tipsier than wine, but you're right that it probably does. I will keep a bottle (of breastmilk, haha!) on hand if I decide to have some. Thanks!

Birth 7lb 6oz
    1 mo 10lb 8oz
    2 mo 14lb
    4 mo 19lb 1oz
    5 mo 21lbs
    6 mo 23lbs
    7 mo 24lbs

Oh hmmm another thing I just thought of is that I would generally take way longer to drink a single scotch than a glass of wine, thus throwing off the whole schedule. It's possible it's just not worth it and I should wait until she's older and nursing less frequently.

Birth 7lb 6oz
    1 mo 10lb 8oz
    2 mo 14lb
    4 mo 19lb 1oz
    5 mo 21lbs
    6 mo 23lbs
    7 mo 24lbs

But if you have the bottle of pumped milk, it won't matter will it? You can then skip a feeding if need be.

Way too lazy for formula

True. It's a hassle to express a bottle (I hand express) and half the time she won't take it, so that's why I say it might not be worth it.

Birth 7lb 6oz
    1 mo 10lb 8oz
    2 mo 14lb
    4 mo 19lb 1oz
    5 mo 21lbs
    6 mo 23lbs
    7 mo 24lbs

Thanks for posting this, believe it or not. I found the info here really interesting. I'm a Bailey's lover, lol, and can't wait to have some again. My lo is just 2 months so it will be a while yet, but it was kinda nice to know that missing your fave bevvie does not make you a bad mom ;-)
    Babies are Just Awesome

now cloth diapering that
    Mom to Liv, Soph & now Baby Nate Nate

Are you typing with one hand, too?

birth: 7lbs 14oz / discharge: 7lbs 1oz / day 7 8lbs 1 oz / day 14 8lbs 15oz / day 28 10lbs 7oz / 9 weeks 13lbs 12oz/ 17 weeks 16lbs 2oz
    / 6 months 19lbs 7oz

Another thing to consider is that alcohol goes from your gut to your blood to your milk...it's not like when a woman is pregnant and the fetus gets the straight goods.

If I want a drink I nurse first and then have my drink immediately to get the most spacing time wise. Since my LO is 8 mo.s old now I give him one of his "solids" meals when he gets hungry next. (That said this kid will latch on at any time of day ...he loves his boobies... so I don't worry about him missing a nursing feed).
    2005 2008

Whiskey girl here. Southern Comfort, Jack and Coke, Captain and coke (rum). The thing is if I want to drink it has to be one of these now. After having Clayton if I drink wine or a fuzzy navel, or what not, I have an allergic reaction. I get red, itchy blotches all over my skin. It's so wierd, and I haven't figured out what had changed, but it has. Sad cause as much as I like all those drinks of whiskey and rum, sometimes I would just like to have a glass of wine again! Anyone else have this strange occurance? But on this subject, I have never had any problem spacing out my drinking (just social, so no biggie). As long as you do it safely, your LO will be fine.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

momma2thumper...drifting a bit here but I did develop a food allergy with my 1st pregnancy (almonds). Read that it's not that uncommon to get new allergies since pregnancy is a stress on the immune system.

Back to topic...agree just talking about a social drink not "party-time, excellent"

Cheers.
    2005 2008