Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Another question...NEED HELP ASAP

Default Another question...NEED HELP ASAP

I just had some dental work done, and I am in excruciating pain. The dentist gave me a prescription for oxycodone, but I don't know if I can take it. DS is asleep for the night, but I have to pump at 10:30 to finish up his bottles tomorrow. Can I take the pain meds? Will it dissipate over night? Or would I need to dump the milk? If I could stand it, I wouldn't ask, but this really, really hurts. I can't even talk.

Please help!

Edit: I already took Advil--it didn't do anything, sadly.
    Last edited by wlcmom; August 16th, 2006 at 06:18 PM.

Default Re: Another question...NEED HELP ASAP

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/pain-meds.html

I found this link that another mom posted very helpful...hopefully you will too!!

jenny
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

I got this from The Nursing Mother's Companion :

Narcotics. Drowsinessdue to narcotics in milk occurs more commonly in infants than formerly thought: About 20 percent of breastfed babies whose mothers have taken narcotics are affected. The degree of drowsiness varies with the dosage, and babies less than one month old are particularly susceptible. Limiting the dosage to one tablet (such as 30 milligrams of codeine, 5 milligrams of hydrocone or oxycodone, or 65 milligrams of propoxyphene) every four hours is advisable; acetaminophen or ibuprofen can be taken in addition....

HTH

Not sure this will help at all, but this is my story...

When my son was 6 months old I found out I had oral cancer, I had surgery, and came home in ALOT of pain...I was also given Oxycodone, I had no choice I had to take it...he was fine, I extended taking it as long as I could, but after 4 1/2 hours I could not stand it anymore, round the clock. He's now 33 months old and shows no signs of having any effects from it, that I know of, and did not get "sleepy" or have any reaction to it while I was taking it either.

Good luck!

Thank you all for posting. The pain isn't as intense now, so I think I'll avoid taking any pain medication unless it gets worse again. Also, I am going to pump first, that way if I have to take the medicine, it should be mostly out of my system by the time I nurse ds. My prescription is 5mg of oxycodone, so if I only take one dose, it should be gone by morning.

I'm going to pump now, so I can go to bed. Thanks again!