Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have FLU, now milk almost gone

Unhappy Have FLU, now milk almost gone

I have had the flu since Tuesday (02.01.06) and have subsequently had my milk supply dwindle to almost nil and have had to supplement to satisfy my 3 week old daughter. Previously, I had more than enough and there were no problems. I did not have any symptoms that would dehydrate me besides fever and have been able to drink LOTS of water, but it's not enough. I have started taking fenugreek and brewer's yeast at the suggestion of a local lactation consultant. Any other ideas? HELP!!!

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Have FLU, now milk almost gone

Have you been taking an antihistimine for your flu??? That will REALLY do a number on your supply! Sudafed works well to clear out the sinuses without affecting milk supply as much as antihistimines.

If you are taking something with an antihisitime, try cutting that out... it may affect your symptoms for a while longer, but your milk should come back in.

Also, you'll want to eat oatmeal. It helps, too.

Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Jacqui

Are things like Tylenol cold also not a good idea? Also tell me more about the oatmeal, last week at a LLL meeting someone else also said the same thing?

take the baby to bed and nurse nurse nurse! in a few feeding you should notice more milk!
    hope you are fealing better soon.

It depends, Brittan... You have to look at the ingredients. If it says on the box that it contains an antihisitimine, then it will contribute to your milk drying up. You have to be really careful. I've seen this happen to more unsuspecting women b/c their doctors don't know that this will happen to them.

I agree that just nursing, nursing and more nursing will help, too.

As far as the oatmeal goes, I'm not sure why it works, it just apparently does. As does very dark beer - the darker the better.

Jacqui

Thank you! I seem to be catching more colds this year than ever?!? maybe the lack of sleep is not helping. I will be careful, should antihistamines be all together avoided or just taken in moderation, could that happen to someone who has an established supply, like us, ds is 9 months nurses around the clock!

It really depends... I'm one of those women who could not take them at all for the first year or so... after that, I was fine. I've had other friends who had no problems at all and other friends who could never take an antihistimine.

I'd just be very careful and try to find other ways... like vitamin C and other things to help boost your immune system.

Jacqui

Thanks!

Talking Re: Have FLU, now milk almost gone

From Susie's husband:
    With regards to the oatmeal and dark beer...after research, I have found that it has to do with the high abundance of B vitamins contained in those products, which explains why the brewer's yeast was recommended to accompany the fenugreek. Susie never did take antihistamines, only regular acetamenophen and ibuprofen. Life is better now - milk's back up and we no longer are supplementing (after only 2 days on the brewer's yeast and fenugreek!). Thanks, ladies! - Floyd

Great info and very cool hubby, for posting!