Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marathon Nursing!!

Default Marathon Nursing!!

She nursed at 4:30pm, 5:30pm, 6:30pm and 7:30pm!!!! I can't even begin to tell you how exhausted I am.

Thankfully she's sleeping now. I'd like to think she'll sleep longer than her usual 3 hours but I'm not going to hold my breath. I can't believe how much she's put away for a 7 week, 5 day old!! (corrected age 2 weeks)

Default Re: Marathon Nursing!!

It sounds like she's tanking up for a few hours of sleep! Enjoy the alone time momma it's well deserved.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I went to jump into the shower (it's been 2 days, I needed it! ). I was gone for 20 min. Little Miss decided to wake and harass DH at 9:30pm. He knows how exhausted I have been over the last 2 days so he decided to take pity on me and feed her.

With her marathon feedings, I haven't had time to pump between (not that I would have gotten a full feeding pumped with only 20 minutes between feedings. So DH got out the formula. I know he means well and I really did need the break. I just wish I had pumped for him to have something to feed.

Over the last 6 hours, she's maybe slept for 2 hours total. 5 feedings over 6 hours is just insane!!

We're coping, but I can't help but feel that we're doing something wrong or incorrectly reading the situation.

10:30pm and she's up again. She just had 5+oz of formula!!!

I don't get it.

it could be that she is nursing for comfort.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    it could be that she is nursing for comfort.
    And what do I get for comfort!?
    I admit that the bond I feel with her is so strong. It is what gets me through these harder times.

It sounds like a growth spurt to me. And Why the supplementation at the last feed? I understand your DH giving her formula because you were showering, but the 5oz later? When your child cluster feeds like that, you need to continue to bring her to the breast. 5 feedings in 6 hours during a growth spurt is really very normal. The more you supplement out of concern, the more likely is is that your body won't get the proper number of ques. It's all supply and demand. Your baby is working to get your supply up right now. The only way she can do that is to feed nonstop.
    You should set up a nursing station in the living room and just expect to live there. Getting up only to get food for yourself, pee and change diapers. That is normal ground in the 1st 6-12 weeks. (Perhaps 14 since you are working with corrected age?)
    And sleep when your baby sleeps. Nap when she naps. Have your DH take her so you can take a nap before the night time cluster feeds begin.
    I understand your exhaustion. We've all been there. But the worse thing you can do right now is doubt yourself or think that the fact that she is eating non-stop means you are somehow not satisfying her. Breastmilk absorbs very quickly. The only reason they go longer between feed with formula is because it's harder on their systems and takes longer to digest. Don't mistake that for more satisfied. Nothing is better for her or more satisfying than your milk and the constant contact that comes with feeding. Staying connected to you physically at this point is still very very important to her.

So practice taking naps. I know that's hard advice to take. But I swear it's the best advice you'll ever get. We all felt like we'd been hit by a mack truck by week six. It comes from trying to stay awake like normal during the day and use the time the baby sleeps to do normal stuff we'd do. But then we have do that plus the night feeding and what do you have left? And when do you catch up? Naps is the answer.
    So don't worry. You are doing it right. Marathon feedings are part of the deal. You can do it Mama. Stay focused. Trust mother Nature. You were made to do this.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    I understand your DH giving her formula because you were showering, but the 5oz later?
    Sorry - the way I worded this was confusing. The 5oz reference was to the same formula feeding DH did while I was in the shower. I was just surprised at her being up in about an hour with a 5oz feeding in her! It was only one formula feeding.

I know just how you feel - my LO was 'marathon nursing' last week and I was even more than my usual zombie self because of it. But hang in there - it ends as quickly as it starts. I doubt he'll start the five/six hour sleeping stretches soon, but I can tell you it has been almost blissful getting three hour stretches lately ;-)

Enjoy whatever breaks you can get, nap when you can, set up that 'feeding station' djsmom suggested and use this as a time to get caught up on a season or two of that show you heard so much about but never had the chance to get in to (Arrested Development, LOST , Dead Like Me and 24 (but skip last season)are some places to start ;-) ).
    Babies are Just Awesome

now cloth diapering that
    Mom to Liv, Soph & now Baby Nate Nate

Are you typing with one hand, too?

birth: 7lbs 14oz / discharge: 7lbs 1oz / day 7 8lbs 1 oz / day 14 8lbs 15oz / day 28 10lbs 7oz / 9 weeks 13lbs 12oz/ 17 weeks 16lbs 2oz
    / 6 months 19lbs 7oz

Its hard in the early weeks because you feel like you can't get a break. What I did to get a mental break was to watch movies while nursing. Baby would want to nurse the whole time and the movie took my mind off my sore boobs.

I also cosleep so I don't have to get up in the night. I have resigned to the fact that I will not get good sleep for a while. I work four days a week and have gotten used to broken sleep.

Slowly your baby will feed more regularly and less because they learn to suck more efficiently (saw your post on this too).

Good luck!