Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I am so done with all this

Default I am so done with all this

So I had mastitis in my right breast in early November. Since then my left nipple has been sore and I thought maybe there was a milk blister on it or something. Or maybe a plugged duct. I don't know for sure. I'm the only person I know that has breastfed, so when something goes wrong, it's just figure it out on your own, you know? Whatever it was, it hurt, so after dealing with it for 2 weeks, I tried poking it with a pin. At first, it seemed to work. But today there was another white spot, so I poked at it and pus came out. Now I have a line coming from the nipple and red spots on the bottom of the breast. I went to a clinic the last time and got some antibiotics, so I'm taking what was left over from that. Other than just antibiotics (which obviously didn't work that well since it came back), what can I do?

And yeah, I realize that poking at my nipples probably wasn't the best idea, but I really have NO IDEA what I'm doing here. I had a midwife who lives 1200 miles away, so no hospital lactation consultant or even breastfeeding classes. And I have no insurance, so I can't even go to the doctor to find out what the hell is wrong. Honestly, at this point I am starting to regret doing this the "natural" way and not just getting formula from WIC like every other mom I know.

I just want to know how I can get my breasts back to normal so I can decide with a clear head whether or not continuing with breastfeeding is really worth it. If I have to deal with this every few weeks, well 6 months of breastfeeding is going to have to be good enough.

Default Re: I am so done with all this

to you, and breastfeeding can be very difficult in the beginning, and the key to continuing on, is to get tons of support. I'm so sorry you do not have support there, but you will get lots and lots of help and support on here. You are doing the absolute best for your baby, and it will get easier with time. If you decide to formula feed, you may end up dealing with alot more sicknesses and ear infections, and visits to the Doctor. Just take it one day at a time, and it will get better.
    It might have been a plugged duct that you had.
    Here is some info on that that you might find helpful
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

How old is your LO?
    How is her/his latch? Do you think s/he has a good latch? Does your nipple hurt when s/he nurses?
    Last edited by @llli*kathrynk; November 25th, 2008 at 07:05 PM.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kathrynk View Post
    How old is your LO?
    How is her/his latch? Do you think s/he has a good latch? Does your nipple hurt when s/he nurses?
    She'll be 7 months in about a week. I think her latch is ok. It's usually fine until she gets bored and starts playing with the nipple.

Thanks. It's so frustrating sometimes. But if nothing else, I'll be able to tell my daughter how to handle problems if she chooses to breastfeed.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*heathermarie View Post
    I went to a clinic the last time and got some antibiotics, so I'm taking what was left over from that. Other than just antibiotics (which obviously didn't work that well since it came back), what can I do?
    With antibiotics you have to take ALL the pills even if your symptoms seem to be better, or else you risk getting the infection again, and one that is even more resistent to antibiotics. If I were you I'd probalby go back and see if you don't need another round of antibiotics and let them know this is your second round.

I'm sorry you are going through this. Remember, that here there are a lot of moms going through the same things. You aren't alone here

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I would be very too. But if this helps at all, a very good majority of the people who are experienced in breastfeeding including lactation consultants and midwives are usually full of bad advice too. I found figuring things out myself and using stuff I find online the best way to handle breastfeeding problems. And like the pp said, there are tons of moms right here who have BTDT and can help you quick.

Okay so the milk blister you think you had. Check here for some detailed info. I have had many of these and they are very painful. Did yours hurt a lot when nursing? I also popped all of mine, and used a steralized needle. Then I would put on neosporin so I didn't get an infection. Also, used lots of lanolin to aid in healing.

If you've developed a secondary infection from the blister then I would see if you can get another round of antibiotics. That should zap up the infection it sounds like you have going. I'm really sorry to hear this, I can only imagine what the pain feels like.

Don't give up nursing just yet. Especially when you're having problems. It's SO worth it to stick it out for many reasons. Nursing is free, you never have to mess with bottles or formula, and it's pretty awesome that you have figured out how to nurse successfully when so many people just give up. The longer you nurse the better it gets. I wanted to quit sooooo many times, lol. But we just made it through and took things one day at a time.

Keep us posted on how you're feeling!!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

First of all, congrats on making it so long nursing without any help or support. It's hard with a good support system and informed people to go to for questions. Be proud of yourself!

I agree with the PP that you probably didn't get rid of the infection completly the first time and need more antibiotics. If you qualify for WIC do you qualify for state insurance? Sorry DD wants to eat so gotta go but I have more thoughts, I'll be back.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Some WIC offices have people who are very knowledgable about bfing, so you might try calling them, too.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.